AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Aid for the population of El Chaco, who continues to be adversely affected by floods
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) - The situation in the western region of El Chaco in Paraguay continues to worsen because of the persistent rains which continue to fall in the area (see Fides 18/04/2012). The floods have affected 90% of the region, damaging more than 60 thousand people. The Secretariat for the National Emergency (SNE), confirms that the situation is particularly critical even in Upper Paraguay, due to a flood of the Pilcomayo River from the south of Bolivia. One cannot imagine the damage caused to agriculture since most of these territories live on farming and cattle breeding. A group of technicians have been sent to work to restore the power line and a transformer of emergency. The goal is to obtain sufficient electricity to operate a suction pump capable of eliminating 300 000 liters of water per hour. The solidarity of the Paraguayan and people from outside fuels hope in the disaster area. Donations continue to arrive, just in the city of Concepcion, after a marathon 10 hours 6,324 pounds of aid were collected. Drugs are mainly needed for fever and diarrhea, antivenin, mineral water, milk, juices, non-perishable canned foods, clothing, blankets, mosquito nets, rain boots, rubber shoes and mattresses. Even most of the Faculty of the National University of Asunción have joined in these actions of solidarity. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/4/2012)
- 2015-07-20 - "Why are we so inhuman towards each other?" Asks Mgr. Gimenez denouncing violence
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace