AFRICA/KENYA - A dispute regarding the ownership of church land or an attack on Christians: there are two hypotheses on the attack in Nairobi
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "The attack against the church in Nairobi could be related to a dispute about ownership of the land where a place of worship was built or be a new retaliation of the Shabaab for the Kenyan military intervention in Somalia" says to Fides the Director Mike Muasya of the Catholic Agency CISA in Nairobi, where yesterday, Sunday, April 29 a suicide bomber detonated a bomb inside the of God's House of Miracle Church in the Ngara district, northwest of the Kenyan capital.
"At the moment both hypothesis are considered valid by the authorities," says Muasya. "We know that there is a dispute regarding the ownership of land where the church was built" - continues the director of CISA-but we also know that a few days ago the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi had launched the alarm about a possible attack in Kenya on behalf of the Somali Shabaab." "One must take into consideration though that no one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, while the Shabaab have always claimed previous attacks," concluded the Director of CISA.
The attack, which caused one victim and fifteen wounded, was perpetrated by a man who threw a grenade at the start of the Sunday service and who has since taken flight. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/4/2012)
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Kenyatta wins but Odinga presents recourse
- 2013-03-08 AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Archbishop Lele’s appeal "avoid violence and ethnic discrimination"
- 2013-02-15 AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
- 2013-01-10 AFRICA/KENYA - New massacres in the Tana Delta, concern for the hundreds of thousands of weapons in circulation
- 2012-12-21 AFRICA/KENYA - At least 30 deaths for an assault on a village in the Tana River District
- 2012-12-14 AFRICA/KENYA - "Reconciliation passes through respect for differences," say the Bishops in the 2013 elections
- 2012-12-13 AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/KENYA - No more shooting in Garissa, but the population is irritated by the violence on behalf of the army