ASIA/SRI LANKA - Launch of the campaign "Not in Our Name" against religious extremism in Sri Lanka
Colombo (Agenzia Fides) - A public awareness campaign and a petition on the web against religious extremism in Sri Lanka: is the initiative of a forum of citizens and associations of all faiths, missionaries, journalists, activists for humans rights which, as reported to Fides, have launched a blog and a collection of signatures on the web (https://notinournamesl.wordpress.com).
The event that triggered this mobilization is the attack on mosque in Dambulla a week ago, when a violent crowd of about 2,000 Sri Lankans, including a group of Buddhist monks stormed and damaged a mosque, declaring it arbitrarily "illegal" (see Fides 27/04/2012).
In addition to physical violence, says the Forum in a statement sent to Fides, "what has to be underlined is the racist and derogatory language used by the Buddhist laeder Ven Inamaluwe Sumangala Thero and other Buddhist monks during the attack," documented in several videos.
"After this violence, there has been no condemnation on behalf of the President, the government or the media," notes the forum of citizens, denouncing "a growing risk of the explosion of an inter- religious conflict in Sri Lankan society. "There is a real danger: if not addressed, or if simply left out, this militant religious extremism can become very quickly and seriously a threat to Sri Lanka," he says.
The monks showed their "shameful behavior, far from the teachings of Buddha", the Forum invites citizens of all religions to sign for the campaign against religious extremism "Not in Our Name", urging government intervention in accordance with principles of justice, legality, respect and guarantees for religious minorities. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/4/2012)
- 2014-01-29 ASIA/SRI LANKA - Christians took to the streets for religious freedom: 18 Buddhists on trial for attacks against churches
- 2014-01-07 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The Bishop of Mannar calls for an international investigation into war crimes in Sri Lanka
- 2013-12-06 ASIA/SRI LANKA - Indifference on behalf of the government with regards to the increasing number of attacks against Christians
- 2013-10-25 ASIA/SRI LANKA - A Tamil priest: The government has failed in reconciliation, a prophetic role of religious leaders is needed
- 2013-10-23 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The Commission "Justice and Peace" in Jaffna denounces "the genocide of Tamils"
- 2013-06-11 ASIA/SRI LANKA - Bishops to the government: "Yes to decentralization and a new Constitution"
- 2013-05-03 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The Bishop of Galle: "Dialogue with Buddhists, no to all forms of violence. The Pope encourages us "
- 2013-04-30 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The case of the Buddhist "Taliban" explodes: Church re-launches the work for religious harmony
- 2012-12-21 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The situation for the population affected by the floods continues to worsen
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/SRI LANKA - Floods, rains and roads cut off cause damage to about 20 000 people