ASIA/INDIA - Missionary Congress in Kerala: the paths of evangelization
Palai (Agenzia Fides) - Bringing the gospel in culture, society, witnessing Christ in the Indian nation: this will be the theme discussed during the Missionary Congress of the Diocese of Palai (in the state of Kerala in southern India) which, as reported to Fides, opens on April 30. Cardinal Oswald Gracias, Archbishop of Bombay, and President of the Episcopal Conference of India will inaugurate the Congress with the participation of over 10 thousand faithful among priests, religious and laity. As stated by His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Kallarangatt, Bishop of Palai, "it will be a memorable event for our Eparchy in the Year of Mission", a time in which the local church questioned herself about her missionary vocation, on the modalities and the paths of evangelization in today’s India.
The Indian context is marked by cultural and religious pluralism, caste and poverty. Each of these realities poses challenges to the existence and mission of the Indian Church. In the context of religious pluralism, fanaticism and religious fundamentalism, extremism and exclusivity, scatter the seeds of conflict that present a challenge to all religions, and especially the Indian Church. The Eparchy of Palai (diocese of the Syro-Malabar rite) is in central Kerala and has about 330 thousand faithful, served by about 280 priests. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/4/2012)
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"
- 2015-03-12 - The Delhi Police has launched a Facebook page to protect the safety of Christians
- 2015-03-11 - Forced mass sterilizations continue
- 2015-03-10 - Christians in march ask Hindu radicals to owe Mother Teresa an apology
- 2015-03-09 - The Franciscans: consecrated life at the service of the poor
- 2015-02-27 - New episodes of violence against Christian churches
- 2015-02-25 - Release of kidnapped priest: the Church thanks the Prime Minister
- 2015-02-24 - The government of India does not intend to pass any anti-conversion law