ASIA/INDIA - Missionary Congress in Kerala: the paths of evangelization
Palai (Agenzia Fides) - Bringing the gospel in culture, society, witnessing Christ in the Indian nation: this will be the theme discussed during the Missionary Congress of the Diocese of Palai (in the state of Kerala in southern India) which, as reported to Fides, opens on April 30. Cardinal Oswald Gracias, Archbishop of Bombay, and President of the Episcopal Conference of India will inaugurate the Congress with the participation of over 10 thousand faithful among priests, religious and laity. As stated by His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Kallarangatt, Bishop of Palai, "it will be a memorable event for our Eparchy in the Year of Mission", a time in which the local church questioned herself about her missionary vocation, on the modalities and the paths of evangelization in today’s India.
The Indian context is marked by cultural and religious pluralism, caste and poverty. Each of these realities poses challenges to the existence and mission of the Indian Church. In the context of religious pluralism, fanaticism and religious fundamentalism, extremism and exclusivity, scatter the seeds of conflict that present a challenge to all religions, and especially the Indian Church. The Eparchy of Palai (diocese of the Syro-Malabar rite) is in central Kerala and has about 330 thousand faithful, served by about 280 priests. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/4/2012)
- 2013-12-10 ASIA/INDIA - Human Rights Day, the cry of Bishops: "India has failed in promoting them"
- 2013-12-06 ASIA/INDIA - In view of the general elections, Christians in prayer for the country's future
- 2013-12-05 ASIA/INDIA - St. Teresa of Avila speaks to Asia
- 2013-12-04 ASIA/INDIA - Faithful mobilization after the murder of a Christian child
- 2013-12-02 ASIA/INDIA - Christian missionaries denounced for "conversion of the tribals"
- 2013-11-26 ASIA/INDIA - Archbishop Menamparampil: " Persecuted? Beware of false martyrdom and proselytism"
- 2013-11-21 ASIA/INDIA - Ecumenical and simultaneous prayer across India, for justice and reconciliation
- 2013-11-15 ASIA/INDIA - India needs a "Magna Carta" for children's rights
- 2013-11-09 ASIA/INDIA - A Bishop of Orissa: "The Church relieves the suffering of the people affected by the cyclone"
- 2013-11-07 ASIA/INDIA - A Bishop reiterates the "right to catechism" for children