OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - Catholic Mission Australia has just launched its appeal for 2012 with the motto "I was hungry and you gave me food." The campaign will be spread to all Australian parishes over the next few months with the aim of urging a missionary response to the spiritual and material needs of people suffering from serious humanitarian crisis that has paralyzed Ethiopia and the Horn of Africa following drought and famine. The campaign is inspired by the biblical verse of Matthew, and focuses on the work carried out in Ethiopia by Sister Maureen Elliott, Australian, of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, and by father Yisehak, a young Ethiopian priest, both living examples of what the missionaries do every day to reach people who struggle to survive poverty and difficulties. They live in the local communities, giving the people food through a daily program for children at the local Catholic school, and daily pastoral visits in the most remote dioceses of southern Ethiopia.
The National Director of Catholic Mission Australia, Martin Teulan, said that "if you live in a rich country, it is difficult to imagine that for millions of children a simple dish of corn and beans is the daily meal, and not always guaranteed. Until we started our food program, many did not eat for days. With the support of the Catholic Mission, the rapid response of the local Catholic Church to this crisis has saved the lives of many families, providing them essential care - adds Teulan -. All members of the community, without discrimination or favoritism are benefiting. The spirit of the community is vital to ensure the success of the program. Some help in the preparation of food, others in the clinics of the school," concludes the National Director of the PMS. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/4/2012)
- 2014-02-10 - Inhumane conditions for children held in detention centers for immigrants
- 2013-12-05 - The Australian Bishops are committed to spreading the Evangelii gaudium
- 2013-07-10 - Compassion towards immigrants: young Australians welcome Pope Francis’ appeal
- 2013-05-20 - New project against trafficking and child labor in India
- 2013-02-22 - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 - Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission