OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - Catholic Mission Australia has just launched its appeal for 2012 with the motto "I was hungry and you gave me food." The campaign will be spread to all Australian parishes over the next few months with the aim of urging a missionary response to the spiritual and material needs of people suffering from serious humanitarian crisis that has paralyzed Ethiopia and the Horn of Africa following drought and famine. The campaign is inspired by the biblical verse of Matthew, and focuses on the work carried out in Ethiopia by Sister Maureen Elliott, Australian, of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, and by father Yisehak, a young Ethiopian priest, both living examples of what the missionaries do every day to reach people who struggle to survive poverty and difficulties. They live in the local communities, giving the people food through a daily program for children at the local Catholic school, and daily pastoral visits in the most remote dioceses of southern Ethiopia.
The National Director of Catholic Mission Australia, Martin Teulan, said that "if you live in a rich country, it is difficult to imagine that for millions of children a simple dish of corn and beans is the daily meal, and not always guaranteed. Until we started our food program, many did not eat for days. With the support of the Catholic Mission, the rapid response of the local Catholic Church to this crisis has saved the lives of many families, providing them essential care - adds Teulan -. All members of the community, without discrimination or favoritism are benefiting. The spirit of the community is vital to ensure the success of the program. Some help in the preparation of food, others in the clinics of the school," concludes the National Director of the PMS. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/4/2012)
- 2015-07-01 - Twenty years of commitment to the reception of migrants
- 2015-06-05 - The Episcopal Commission for Migrants: "Take action to help the persecuted Rohingya"
- 2015-03-23 - Australian Catholic schools against bullying
- 2015-03-17 - Appeal for the victims of Cyclone Pam: 54 000 children affected
- 2015-02-13 - "Free the Children" campaign for the release of immigrant children held in prison
- 2015-02-06 - OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA – One hundred years of Thomas Merton
- 2014-10-30 - Catholic Mission calls for the support of Australians in order to feed the hungry, malnourished and sick Peruvian children
- 2014-10-02 - Jamaica and children who are detained demand attention: Mission Month is a unique opportunity
- 2014-08-01 - 49% of mothers and pregnant women are discriminated in their workplace
- 2014-07-16 - Sport to unite communities, overcome differences, promote social justice