EUROPE/SPAIN - The global economic and political failure is determined by the lack of evangelization in these fields
Santander (Agenzia Fides) - Many governments worldwide have eliminated aid to the poor in this time of economic crisis, when it should be "the only thing not to be touched": the complaint was made by the President of Caritas Internationalis, Cardinal Oscar Andres Rodriguez Maradiaga, Archbishop of Tegucigalpa (Honduras), in his speech for the 41st social Week of the Church, held in Santander (Spain) from April 19 to 21, focused on the new evangelization.
According to the letter which Fides received, Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga said that, contrary to those who believe that "the power of the Gospel has been lost " because the Church "is too involved in the social field," he believes just the opposite, namely that "We have not done enough." The President of Caritas Internationalis gave this example: "lack of ethics in finance or politics leads to corruption at all levels", which means that "right there the Gospel has not arrived yet." For this reason, he emphasized, if the crisis we now find ourselves is "very strong" in economy or in politics, it means that "we did not worry enough for the evangelization of politics and politicians, economics and economists." "This, I think, is really a great challenge for the new evangelization in these fields," he added. The Cardinal concluded by encouraging the exemplary action of Caritas Spain, that despite the crisis, has increased its contribution this year. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/4/2012)
- 2013-03-14 EUROPE/SPAIN - Enthusiasm for the new Pope and waiting for further progress against hunger and poverty
- 2013-02-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hispanic-American Day: "America, Doors open to the mission"
- 2013-01-31 EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no justice without equality": the crisis has worsened the poverty of women and girls around the world
- 2013-01-26 EUROPE/SPAIN - A video on the internet explains to children what it means to be a missionary
- 2012-12-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - "We are faced with a family and faith emergency ": On Sunday a demonstration in defense of the Christian family
- 2012-12-07 EUROPE/SPAIN - Right to education denied to 61 million boys and girls who do not attend school
- 2012-12-05 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hunger, unemployment and exploitation aggravate the already precarious situations
- 2012-11-16 EUROPE/SPAIN - 220 million malnourished children, penalized in their growth and future
- 2012-10-22 EUROPE/SPAIN - Two thousand children involved in fundraising for World Mission Sunday
- 2012-10-19 EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no mission without missionaries": 14,000 Spanish missionaries in the world