EUROPE/SPAIN - Native Vocations Day: no vocation born in mission territories is lost
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - On Sunday, April 29, the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Spain will promote the celebration of Native Vocations Day 2012, which has the slogan: "Mary encourages vocations in the mission." The Spanish Episcopal Conference has determined that this Day will be celebrated on the last Sunday of April, and in some years, as this one, coincides with the Fourth Sunday of Easter, World Day of Prayer for Vocations.
Illustrating the theme of this year, it is stressed that the celebration of the Day "can be the gateway to the month of May, dedicated to the Virgin Mary" by placing under her protection, the native vocations. Moreover, the poster depicts the scene of the Pentecost: Maria in the Last Supper calls the apostles to pray and hope, "the image of the Virgin reminds the faithful that Mary is always present in the active life of the Church and of Christians."
The PMS of Spain have prepared several subsidies, of which a copy was sent to Fides, to promote and organize this Day. Fr. Anastasio Gil, National Director of the PMS and Director of the Secretariat of the Episcopal Commission for Missions, urges to work and improve its promotion and its celebration, "as the aim of the Day is to arouse an authentic participation so that no vocation born in the mission territories is lost for lack of necessary aid."
Since 1922, when the Society of St. Peter the Apostle was approved by the Holy See becoming Pontifical, it has the mandate to assist seminaries in mission territories, sending offers and promoting the cooperation of the faithful. "On the contrary - adds Fr. Gil – without this Society, many vocations would have gone lost! Many of the native Bishops who today represent the apostolicity of the dioceses in mission territories were able to finish school because of this Pontifical Society".
Fr. Anastasio Gil points out that many think one Mission Sunday (DOMUND) per year is enough, "but we all know that this day is not enough, and I ask you to reflect and think that we can still offer a lot of 'Scholarships' so that no vocations remain halfway. The day will end up helping the native vocations" – concludes Fr. Gil - (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/4/2012)
- 2013-03-14 EUROPE/SPAIN - Enthusiasm for the new Pope and waiting for further progress against hunger and poverty
- 2013-02-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hispanic-American Day: "America, Doors open to the mission"
- 2013-01-31 EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no justice without equality": the crisis has worsened the poverty of women and girls around the world
- 2013-01-26 EUROPE/SPAIN - A video on the internet explains to children what it means to be a missionary
- 2012-12-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - "We are faced with a family and faith emergency ": On Sunday a demonstration in defense of the Christian family
- 2012-12-07 EUROPE/SPAIN - Right to education denied to 61 million boys and girls who do not attend school
- 2012-12-05 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hunger, unemployment and exploitation aggravate the already precarious situations
- 2012-11-16 EUROPE/SPAIN - 220 million malnourished children, penalized in their growth and future
- 2012-10-22 EUROPE/SPAIN - Two thousand children involved in fundraising for World Mission Sunday
- 2012-10-19 EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no mission without missionaries": 14,000 Spanish missionaries in the world