ASIA/VIETNAM - Emergency in the south: viral strain affects thousands of children and has already killed 16
Hanoi (Agenzia Fides) - A dangerous strain of a disease that affects hands, feet and mouth (HFMD) has hit Vietnam and has affected more than 21 thousand people, mostly children under 5 years of age, already killing 16. According to the Ministry of Health, although it is a benign viral infection in industrialized countries, the EV71 strain of the HFMD continues to claim victims in Asia. In particular, in the southern part of Vietnam, the children are looked after in hygienically precarious kindergartens while parents work. The symptoms of this strain are fever, mouth sores and blisters on hands and feet. The disease is spread through contact with fluids of infected people, and yet there is no specific cure. Most viruses that cause HFMD are benign, but EV71 can be fatal. The new strain appeared in Vietnam last year and since then it has been a serious problem for children’s health. The risk of infection is greatly reduced by improving sanitation, operation for which the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in Vietnam (IFRC) is committed to the promotion of public education campaigns. In 2011 there were 110 000 reported infections and 169 deaths related to EV71, mainly in the south. The disease is active all year round, with peaks between April and May and then again in September and October. In March 2012, the deaths recorded were double and the infection seven times more than the same period the previous year. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/4/2012)
- 2015-03-27 - The first house of formation of the Guanellian’s has been inaugurated
- 2015-03-11 - UN report: positive developments but still restrictions on religious freedom
- 2015-02-05 - Vietnamese NGO Report on human rights and religious freedom
- 2014-11-19 - Attacks and arrests in a Mennonite Christian Center
- 2014-10-31 - Catholics in Hanoi demand the return of a land that belongs to the Church
- 2014-10-20 - The Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh city: prayer and hope for the Vatican-Vietnam diplomatic ties
- 2014-09-23 - Family, cradle of faith and of Christian witness
- 2014-09-12 - Land is a source of livelihood for 14% of the indigenous people living in the Country
- 2014-08-01 - The UN Special Rapporteur: "Serious violations of religious freedom"
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"