ASIA/VIETNAM - Emergency in the south: viral strain affects thousands of children and has already killed 16
Hanoi (Agenzia Fides) - A dangerous strain of a disease that affects hands, feet and mouth (HFMD) has hit Vietnam and has affected more than 21 thousand people, mostly children under 5 years of age, already killing 16. According to the Ministry of Health, although it is a benign viral infection in industrialized countries, the EV71 strain of the HFMD continues to claim victims in Asia. In particular, in the southern part of Vietnam, the children are looked after in hygienically precarious kindergartens while parents work. The symptoms of this strain are fever, mouth sores and blisters on hands and feet. The disease is spread through contact with fluids of infected people, and yet there is no specific cure. Most viruses that cause HFMD are benign, but EV71 can be fatal. The new strain appeared in Vietnam last year and since then it has been a serious problem for children’s health. The risk of infection is greatly reduced by improving sanitation, operation for which the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in Vietnam (IFRC) is committed to the promotion of public education campaigns. In 2011 there were 110 000 reported infections and 169 deaths related to EV71, mainly in the south. The disease is active all year round, with peaks between April and May and then again in September and October. In March 2012, the deaths recorded were double and the infection seven times more than the same period the previous year. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/4/2012)
- 2014-09-12 - Land is a source of livelihood for 14% of the indigenous people living in the Country
- 2014-08-01 - The UN Special Rapporteur: "Serious violations of religious freedom"
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"
- 2014-07-02 - "Christian family, the cradle of vocations to priesthood" for the Church in Vietnam
- 2014-06-26 - Brutal police repression on Christians Mennonites
- 2014-05-27 - Tensions with China: the faithful pray for justice and peace
- 2014-05-15 - Anti-Chinese protests and violence: civil society and the Catholics ask for non-violence
- 2014-05-08 - A Vietnamese priest in the list of the top “100 information heroes”
- 2014-02-12 - Children of ethnic Dao Tien committed to celebrating the Lunar New Year
- 2014-01-17 - Campaign to abolish torture, often used against detainees for religious and political reasons