AFRICA/SENEGAL - Ziguinchor celebrating the ordination of its fourth Bishop
Ziguinchor (Agenzia Fides) - "My call to the Episcopate happens in the context of the crisis in Casamance that lasts and there does not seem to be a solution. This may lead many to a certain weariness and discouragement. This motto wants to give new courage and once again remind all men of good will that all things are possible to who believes in God. "With these words, the new Bishop of Ziguinchor (Senegal), Mgr. Paul Abel Mamba, explained the meaning of his episcopal motto "Nothing is impossible for God" (Lc.1, 37), during the solemn rite of his episcopal ordination, which took place on Saturday, April 21.
The war for secession of the Casamance (of which Ziguinchor is the capital), broke out in 1982 and has left hundreds of victims and forced thousands of refugees to flee. In the region, one of Senegal's most fertile, different ethnicities and faiths live together: Muslims, Christians and animists. Before the war it was the most important tourist center of Senegal.
According to information sent to Fides from the Curia of Bissau, the Mass of ordination of Mgr. Abel Mamba was presided by Cardinal Thédore Adrien Sarr, Archbishop of Dakar, there was also His Exc. Mgr. Jean-Noel Diouf , Bishop of Tambacounda, and His Exc. Mgr. Jean Pierre Bassène, Bishop of Kolda. Mgr. Paul Abel Mamba, who was appointed Apostolic Administrator of Ziguinchor after the death of his predecessor, Bishop Maixent Coly, who died on August 24, 2010, and Bishop of the Diocese on January 25, 2012 (see Fides 26/01/2012) thus became the fourth Bishop of Ziguinchor.
The three Bishops of Guinea-Bissau, His Exc. Mgr. José Câmnate na Bissign, Bishop of Bissau, His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Carlos Zilli, Bishop of Bafatá¸ and His Exc. Mgr. Jose Lampra Cá, Auxiliary Bishop of Bissau, accompanied by a good number of priests and faithful of the Diocese of Bissau and Bafata, participated in this moment so solemn and so important for Ziguinchor and also for the whole sub-region. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 24/4/2012)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/SENEGAL - The phenomenon of the 'talibé' continues to worsen: 20,000 every day in Dakar alone
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Two purifiers will allow 1,800 people to have drinking water
- 2012-12-10 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Cardinal Sarr remembers the Caliph of Tidjaniyya, "man of respect, man of God"
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SENEGAL - More than 160 graves desecrated in two Catholic cemeteries, bronze crosses stolen
- 2012-08-29 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Church’s appeal to help the victims of the torrential rains
- 2012-06-20 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Emergency food crisis: 800 000 people are undernourished, millions of children at risk
- 2012-04-24 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Ziguinchor celebrating the ordination of its fourth Bishop
- 2012-03-26 AFRICA/SENEGAL - The recognition of Macky Sall’s victory by outgoing President Wade: may he be an example for all of Africa
- 2012-03-13 AFRICA/SENEGAL - "Justice and Peace," asks an effort for a second round of peaceful elections and without fraud
- 2012-02-23 AFRICA/SENEGAL - On the eve of the vote the atmosphere is tense, the Church offers a third of electoral observers