AMERICA/PERU-Caritas Peru will help over 5 thousand people with the promotion of local products
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas Peru has signed a cooperation agreement with the company "Sierra Exportadora" to enhance and better commercialize the production of the inhabitants of the Peruvian highlands. The agreement was signed by Mgr. Richard Alarcón Urrutia, Bishop of Tarma, President of Caritas Peru, Jorge Lafosse, Secretary General of Caritas Peru, and Alfonso Velásquez Tuesta, President of Sierra Exportadora.
Thanks to this agreement, the production of cheese prepared in the Andes is expected to double. This will help bring the current production levels to reach in less than a year, about 50 tons of cheese. About five thousand people, producers of milk and dairy products in the Andean region will benefit from this, particularly those living on the plateau of Puno (south east of Peru). This is the first result of some common actions that the two institutions have carried out in order to develop proposals to improve the quality of life of the people involved. Other future projects are in the field of tourism and agriculture. At the end of the note sent to Fides reads that Mgr. Richard Alarcón Urrutia expressed appreciation for this joint work, because in this way "one helps to build a more humane and brotherly country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 23/04/2012)
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries