ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
Kabul (Agenzia Fides) - It seems that the 'Spring Offensive', triggered by the Taliban in the country on April 15, extended to three eastern provinces (Nangarhar, Logar and Paktia), resulted in a toll of 51 victims and 74 injuries. "After a night spent in apprehension due to the sound of gunfire and grenades , we got up with the feeling of great concern for the fate of this Country, for our children and their families," says one of the 4 women religious who works in the community Pro children in Kabul, an inter-congregational centre for disabled children born in 2004. "The driver came to work at six - the nun continues – while in the distance one could hear the blows of firearms and bombs – to make sure everything was calm on the streets and that at 7.30 he could make his usual tour, collecting children, on time and safely." "The nuns are doing well," wrote Fr. Carlo Fondrini, Guanellian and legal manager of the center in a note sent to Fides. "Half an hour before the attack they were in the area of the Italian Embassy, where we are obliged to go so we can attend Mass, in the only church in Afghanistan, which is just inside the Italian Embassy," says Fr. Fondrini. The nuns, who come from different congregations, after an intense period of formation, came to Kabul in November 2004. Since May 24, 2006 they have accepted children with disabilities in classrooms adapted for them, with materials, educational games and toys donated to help give them a future of hope. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 18/4/2012)
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished