ASIA/SYRIA - An Archbishop among the refugees: "Upon them the eyes of the suffering Christ"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "The Syrian refugees are in shock, unable to realize the scale of the tragedy they are experiencing. Their painful situation is a waiting-room on the route towards exodus. To see them, to meet their eyes, is a source of great suffering for us, " says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Samir Nassar, Maronite Archbishop of Damascus, who recently visited a number of internally displaced families, many from Homs. The refugees of the Syrian conflict are assisted by Caritas Syria which also received the help of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum".
The Archbishop told Fides his impressions: "We feel powerless in the face of the tragedy which our population lives. The life of the displaced finds hope only if they cross the tender gaze of Christ the Saviour on the Cross. We lived Holy Week and Easter with them."
Mgr. Nassar explains that "the eyes of these refugees expressed their state of mind, more than words. Some collapse in silence, in a lost look. Their eyes say: why has this tragedy happened upon us, the innocent victims? What is our fault, why has it hit our family and our house? Others have a look of gratitude to those who help them, while not losing their pride. In the eyes of others we have accusation, anger, despair." On the faces of Christian refugees Mgr. Nassar also reads the expectation and hope. With their eyes they say: "Thy will be done, Lord! We pray for others, we endure suffering as a saving Cross. We are not afraid. We will restart a new life: the Lord will not abandon us."(PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/4/2012)
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra