ASIA/SYRIA - An Archbishop among the refugees: "Upon them the eyes of the suffering Christ"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "The Syrian refugees are in shock, unable to realize the scale of the tragedy they are experiencing. Their painful situation is a waiting-room on the route towards exodus. To see them, to meet their eyes, is a source of great suffering for us, " says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Samir Nassar, Maronite Archbishop of Damascus, who recently visited a number of internally displaced families, many from Homs. The refugees of the Syrian conflict are assisted by Caritas Syria which also received the help of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum".
The Archbishop told Fides his impressions: "We feel powerless in the face of the tragedy which our population lives. The life of the displaced finds hope only if they cross the tender gaze of Christ the Saviour on the Cross. We lived Holy Week and Easter with them."
Mgr. Nassar explains that "the eyes of these refugees expressed their state of mind, more than words. Some collapse in silence, in a lost look. Their eyes say: why has this tragedy happened upon us, the innocent victims? What is our fault, why has it hit our family and our house? Others have a look of gratitude to those who help them, while not losing their pride. In the eyes of others we have accusation, anger, despair." On the faces of Christian refugees Mgr. Nassar also reads the expectation and hope. With their eyes they say: "Thy will be done, Lord! We pray for others, we endure suffering as a saving Cross. We are not afraid. We will restart a new life: the Lord will not abandon us."(PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/4/2012)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus