ASIA/SYRIA - An Archbishop among the refugees: "Upon them the eyes of the suffering Christ"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "The Syrian refugees are in shock, unable to realize the scale of the tragedy they are experiencing. Their painful situation is a waiting-room on the route towards exodus. To see them, to meet their eyes, is a source of great suffering for us, " says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Samir Nassar, Maronite Archbishop of Damascus, who recently visited a number of internally displaced families, many from Homs. The refugees of the Syrian conflict are assisted by Caritas Syria which also received the help of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum".
The Archbishop told Fides his impressions: "We feel powerless in the face of the tragedy which our population lives. The life of the displaced finds hope only if they cross the tender gaze of Christ the Saviour on the Cross. We lived Holy Week and Easter with them."
Mgr. Nassar explains that "the eyes of these refugees expressed their state of mind, more than words. Some collapse in silence, in a lost look. Their eyes say: why has this tragedy happened upon us, the innocent victims? What is our fault, why has it hit our family and our house? Others have a look of gratitude to those who help them, while not losing their pride. In the eyes of others we have accusation, anger, despair." On the faces of Christian refugees Mgr. Nassar also reads the expectation and hope. With their eyes they say: "Thy will be done, Lord! We pray for others, we endure suffering as a saving Cross. We are not afraid. We will restart a new life: the Lord will not abandon us."(PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/4/2012)
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus