ASIA/SYRIA - An Archbishop among the refugees: "Upon them the eyes of the suffering Christ"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "The Syrian refugees are in shock, unable to realize the scale of the tragedy they are experiencing. Their painful situation is a waiting-room on the route towards exodus. To see them, to meet their eyes, is a source of great suffering for us, " says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Samir Nassar, Maronite Archbishop of Damascus, who recently visited a number of internally displaced families, many from Homs. The refugees of the Syrian conflict are assisted by Caritas Syria which also received the help of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum".
The Archbishop told Fides his impressions: "We feel powerless in the face of the tragedy which our population lives. The life of the displaced finds hope only if they cross the tender gaze of Christ the Saviour on the Cross. We lived Holy Week and Easter with them."
Mgr. Nassar explains that "the eyes of these refugees expressed their state of mind, more than words. Some collapse in silence, in a lost look. Their eyes say: why has this tragedy happened upon us, the innocent victims? What is our fault, why has it hit our family and our house? Others have a look of gratitude to those who help them, while not losing their pride. In the eyes of others we have accusation, anger, despair." On the faces of Christian refugees Mgr. Nassar also reads the expectation and hope. With their eyes they say: "Thy will be done, Lord! We pray for others, we endure suffering as a saving Cross. We are not afraid. We will restart a new life: the Lord will not abandon us."(PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/4/2012)
- 2015-02-27 - Anguish for Christians held hostage by jihadists; Syrian Catholic Archbishop Hindo: avoid unnecessary alarm
- 2015-02-26 - The jihadists of the Islamic State deport Christian prisoners of the villages of Khabur
- 2015-02-25 - Christian villages attacked: more than 100 hostages in the hands of the jihadists; Archbishop Hindo denounces the "wretched" choices of the West
- 2015-02-24 - Islamic State jihadists attack Christian villages along the river Khabur
- 2015-02-20 - Syrian-Orthodox priest detained by Kurds is released
- 2015-02-19 - Orthodox priest and laity arrested by Kurd military
- 2015-02-06 - Kurdish Militia regain control of Tel Hormuz, reestablished the cross removed by jihadists
- 2015-02-06 - Bombing in Damascus, the Franciscan monastery attacked in the area of Bab Touma
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children