AFRICA/TANZANIA - A Catholic priest killed while trying to stop a fight
Dar es Salaam (Agenzia Fides) - two young people were arrested by police in connection with the murder of Father Anastasius Nsherenguzi, a 43-year-old Catholic priest in the diocese of Kayanga (Tanzania), who was seriously injured on Friday, and died on Saturday, April 7, after several hours of agony without revealing any details about what had happened.
According to reports on behalf of the Daily News, Fr. Nsherenguzi, while returning from Bushangaro, the area of the parish where he had gone for a religious service, along the road he had come across some young men who were fighting. The priest immediately intervened to prevent the dispute from degenerating. But Fr. Nsherenguzi was hit in turn by a youth with a large rock, causing him fatal injuries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/4/2012)
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "The Church is object of persecution but the government does not intervene"
- 2013-05-10 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Ban on religious hate speech" interfaith commitment after the attack in Arusha
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/TANZANIA – Attack in Arusha: the testimony of the Apostolic Nuncio to Fides
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Let us wait to have more information before speaking out about the attack in Arusha"
- 2013-02-26 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Music to promote tolerance, but Christians feel under fire
- 2013-02-20 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Today funeral of Catholic priest killed last Sunday
- 2013-02-18 ARICA/TANZANIA - Islamist extremist groups warn Christians: “The coming Easter will be one of disaster”
- 2013-01-03 AFRICA/TANZANIA -The priest’s health condition, who was injured at Christmas on the island of Zanzibar, is improving
- 2012-10-26 AFRICA/TANZANIA - The Government is doing everything possible to maintain peaceful coexistence between religions
- 2012-09-11 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Today the 1st Integrated Meeting for the Pastoral Care of the Road/Street for the Continent of Africa and Madagascar