AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "More must be done against poverty," said the Episcopal Head of the Social Pastoral
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church is concerned about the level of corruption in the Country," said Mgr. Jorge Lozano, Bishop of Gualeguaychú and head of the Social Pastoral of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina, after a meeting with the Secretary General of the trade union " CGT Azul y Blanco ". The Bishop of Gualeguaychú recalled that Argentina is among the Latin American nations with the highest level of corruption and this condition "is not a present situation, but goes back to decades past."
In an impromptu press conference, Mgr. Lozano welcomed the government's work and the efforts of social partners, "much has been done against poverty," he said, but added that "more must be done, since it is not sufficient ".
In a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Lozano also recalled that "many people have escaped from poverty, but there is still much to do because our prosperity is not always distributed equitably." The Episcopal Head of the Social Pastoral also points out that "almost half of those who have a job, is not registered and therefore these people lack access to social aid, salaries and wages are rather low and some are real slaves" . "We still need to do more work in the social field and therefore the Church wants to encourage dialogue between the parties to find the best ways to overcome this situation," concluded the Bishop.
Argentina is among the four countries of the region that has experienced the greatest success in the fight against poverty, with a reduction of 2.7% per year. In all of Latin America in 2010, the last official figures available, the poor were about 177 million, 31.4% of the population. Of these, 70 million are "suffering from poverty or extreme poverty".
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/4/2012)
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Minor workers engaged in heavy activity and at risk
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - " Pastoral ministry should always be missionary," Pope Francis’ message to his brother Argentinian bishops
- 2013-04-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops to the government: "More consultations on reforms, or democracy weakens "
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The action of young people in storms was a "silent revolution," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - More than 50 victims due to the torrential rains in Buenos Aires
- 2013-04-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops of Patagonia: "social peace can be reached with the participation of all"
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Gestures that are potentially prophetic"
- 2013-03-14 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The joy and the prayer of Pope Francis’ compatriots
- 2013-02-22 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Education in the faith in schools: commitment of teachers
- 2013-01-30 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Drugs are also present in primary schools": Mgr. Bressanelli calls for the intervention of the State