AFRICA/MALAWI - "A peaceful transition which confirms the spirit of reconciliation typical of Malawi," says a missionary
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - "With the swearing in of the new President, Joyce Banda, before the Chief Justice, Lovemore Munlo, to the representatives of the Judicial Court and Parliament, and after 26 rounds of cannon and the salute of the military Guard, Malawi peacefully resolved a transfer of power in a time of great tension in the Country ", writes to Fides Fr. Piergiorgio Gamba, a Monfortan missionary who has been working in Malawi for decades. After the sudden death of President Bingu Wa Mutharika, his place was taken by Vice President Joyce Banda, who on April 7 swore in as the new Head of State.
In Malawi there has been a long-lived deep political and economic crisis for a long time and the death of the President was likely to aggravate the situation. "The way out of the crisis is long, but there could not have been anything better than this peaceful transition, which shows the spirit of reconciliation typical of Malawi and its people," writes Fr. Gamba.
"Now it is of extraordinary importance to get out of the international isolation in which Malawi was forced to live in by the previous government, as well as ensuring an economic recovery that brings hope to a country ravaged by profoundly dull and outdated political decisions " says Fr. Gamba.
"Freedom of information should be given priority in a situation of complete monopoly of social communications that had demonized everything and everyone" emphasizes the missionary. The Minister of Information, Patricia Kaliati, was dismissed by President Banda in a process of renewal of institutional leaders. The Chief of Police, responsible of the national television and the Governor of the Central Bank are among the personalities destituted. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/4/2012)
- 2013-11-23 AFRICA/MALAWI - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/MALAWI - Conclusion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar
- 2013-08-13 AFRICA/MALAWI - AMECEA: Plenary Assembly 2014 in Lilongwe
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/MALAWI - Rich 20% of population silent to plight of 80% poor
- 2013-01-30 AFRICA/MALAWI - Funding for AIDS drugs have halved while the Country must cope with flood damage
- 2013-01-16 AFRICA/MALAWI - There is lack of food, water and health care for the people affected by the floods
- 2012-12-03 AFRICA/MALAWI - New food crisis in Malawi, denounces a missionary
- 2012-09-26 AFRICA/MALAWI - The Plenary Assembly of Bishops has begun: Year of Faith and Africae Munus are the focus of the Assembly
- 2012-04-23 AFRICA/MALAWI - "The political turning point has taken place, now we are waiting for economic reforms," said Fr. Gamba
- 2012-04-11 AFRICA/MALAWI - "A peaceful transition which confirms the spirit of reconciliation typical of Malawi," says a missionary