ASIA/MYANMAR - The Bishops: elections and pluralism, "beginning of a new era of peace"
Yangon (Agenzia Fides) - The result of the elections, although not yet official, "is a new beginning for the country, the beginning of an era of great hope for us all. The opposition will be present in Parliament, a factor of pluralism that will do good for the country. We all want the country to start a new era of justice and peace. As a Church we pray for this and we are ready to give our contribution": With these words His Exc. Mgr. Raymond Saw Po Ray, Bishop of Mawlamyine, President of the "Justice and Peace Commission" of the Episcopal Conference of Myanmar, comments, in an interview with Fides, the elections held yesterday in Myanmar for the assignment of 48 parliamentary seats, vacant since the election in November 2010.
According to initial data, the opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, was elected and her party, the "National League for Democracy," won a large majority of seats.
The Bishop says: "We are confident that Aung San Suu Kyi will work for the interest and the common good, giving voice to many sectors of society hitherto little heard. The biggest challenge facing the country today is peace, especially towards ethnic minorities. Today the people of Burma live the opportunity to make a change to the real life of the country. We hope there is good will on behalf of all social components, government and society".
The Bishop concludes: "As Christians we are a small minority that wants to be at the service of the nation to ensure a future of peace and well-being, in respect of human dignity and values of solidarity". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2012)
- 2013-05-15 ASIA/MYANMAR - Serious human rights abuses and religious freedom
- 2013-03-22 ASIA/MYANMAR - Appeal for respect for the rights of ethnic and religious minorities
- 2013-02-14 ASIA/MYANMAR - The Bishops: the Pope's prayer will purify the Church
- 2013-02-12 ASIA/MYANMAR - The Burmese people entrusts the peace of the country to the Virgin Mary
- 2013-01-26 ASIA/MYANMAR - Civil society: peace with the Kachin is the urgent need for the country
- 2013-01-09 ASIA/MYANMAR - The Church: "A Jubilee Year, freedom and reconciliation, for Myanmar"
- 2012-11-19 ASIA/MYANMAR - The Bishops: Obama's visit gives hope for democracy and religious freedom
- 2012-11-12 ASIA/MYANMAR - Earthquake in the town center: deaths, injuries and several missing
- 2012-10-11 ASIA/MYANMAR - For the Year of Faith Biblical prayer in families and catechism for young people
- 2012-06-11 ASIA/MYANMAR - State of emergency in the west of the country: Church's appeal for peace