AFRICA/EGYPT - Observers divided over the candidacy of a member of the Muslim Brotherhood in the presidential elections
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Muslim Brotherhood's decision to present its own candidate in the presidential elections in Egypt is dividing the local and international commentators.
On Sunday, 1 April, the Brotherhood leadership announced the candidature of Khairat el Shater, a 62-year-old businessman considered as one of the main financiers of the movement. The announcement of el Shater’s candidacy
contradicts the promise made a year ago by the Brotherhood where it was said that it would not directly participate in the presidential election with its own aspirants.
The Muslim Brotherhood already control Parliament and the Constitutional Assembly (from which they withdrew, after lay leaders, even representatives of the Coptic Orthodox Church). If their candidate became Head of State, the Brotherhood would control the centers of political power. A power countered by the military that still control a large chunk of the economy.
The candidacy of el Shater is seen precisely in relation to the comparison between the military and the Brotherhood. But the interpretations of observers are divided. According to some, presenting one’s own candidate, the Brothers seek direct confrontation with the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (that assumed executive power after the fall of Mubarak). According to others instead, behind the theory of Shater’s candidacy there is a power-sharing agreement between the Brotherhood and the upper echelons of the Armed Forces. A third possibility, which can be integrated with the second or first, finally sees the move of the Brotherhood's attempt to counter the Salafist groups (considered as extremists) that have presented one of their candidates. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2012)
- 2014-04-16 - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
- 2014-03-31 - The false accusations against St. Catherine's Monastery have been rejected
- 2014-03-29 - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
- 2014-03-26 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Board of inquiry: violence against Copts continues
- 2014-03-25 - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
- 2014-03-24 - Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Arab Spring" was actually a winter
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli