OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - The Autralian Pontifical Mission Society (Catholic Mission) have just released the 2011 Annual Report which shows that, during the year, supporters in Australia helped more than 370 thousand children, 9000 catechists and nearly 3000 seminarians. "The impact of the gifts, prayers and action from thousands of inspirational, caring Australians is testament to what’s possible when we work together in Christ’s name," said Catholic Mission’s National Director, Mr Martin Teulan. More than 6% of the total global funds raised for the missions was donated to the Australian population, and over half of those raised internationally for the Oceania region came from Australian donors. "For a country with a relatively small population, it is encouraging to see the difference our gifts make. For countries like Papua New Guinea, Timor Leste, Myanmar and Kiribati, Australian support is a godsend" said Mr Teulan. "Every Catholic Mission supporter continues Pauline’s vision today, which this year celebrates the 150th anniversary of the death, and continue to support the work of many dedicated missionaries in 1100 diocese in Australia and overseas, reaching out to the Catholic communities in need, taking care of children, and training catechists, religious novices and seminarians".
The Australians supported the work of the Church in 195 dioceses in 38 countries and more than 2 million Catholics received opportunities for spiritual growth. Other highlights in the annual report were Catholic Mission’s funding of: 371.505 children in their spiritual and practical needs, 9462 catechists and 2987 seminarians in training. The building, upkeep and maintenance of 121 pastoral centers, convents for sisters involved in pastoral and practical care, churches and other key buildings. Subsidies for 9 Catholic radio and television broadcasters. " Each individual gift helps share the practical and eternal love of Christ with at least one other child, parent, seminarian. Together, the impact changes whole communities in 38 countries – from remote Australia to Ethiopia, from Guatemala to Madagascar," concludes the National Director. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 29/3/2012)
- 2013-12-05 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The Australian Bishops are committed to spreading the Evangelii gaudium
- 2013-07-10 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Compassion towards immigrants: young Australians welcome Pope Francis’ appeal
- 2013-05-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New project against trafficking and child labor in India
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
- 2012-01-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The liturgy is enriched with aboriginal chants and prayers in a church on the outskirts of Sydney