ASIA/INDIA- A message of hope and resurrection among the detainees in Orissa
Phulbani (Agenzia Fides) - Bringing a message of hope and resurrection to the inmates of Orissa, also and especially to those who are unjustly in prison: is what a Christian community did in Kandhamal, district of the state of Orissa sadly known for the anti-Christian massacres in 2008. As reported to Fides, a special prayer meeting was held in prison in Phulbani by Fr. Mathew Puthyadom, pastor of the church "Light of Christ". Phulbani is a town in the district and in its prison there are 188 prisoners: among them are some of Christian faith, falsely accused of being implicated in the murder of the Hindu leader Laxmanananda Swarswati. His assassination in 2008, led to the charges on the Christian community and was the pretext for the subsequent reaction of indiscriminate violence against the community, which was victim of terrible violence and destruction wrought by members of Hindu fundamentalist groups.
Father Mathew, after the authorization received by the superintendent of the prison, brought with him 14 people, including several children of prisoners, who lived a very intense moment of dialogue and prayer. With those who will spend Easter behind bars they shared a gospel message of joy, forgiveness, mercy and hope, which brought a breath of kindness and news in the the prison environment, appreciated by security personnel and prison authorities. (SD-PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/3/2012)
- 2015-02-27 - New episodes of violence against Christian churches
- 2015-02-25 - Release of kidnapped priest: the Church thanks the Prime Minister
- 2015-02-24 - The government of India does not intend to pass any anti-conversion law
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/INDIA – Local Church tells government: stop discrimination against Dalit Christians
- 2015-02-18 - Prime Minister promises protection for minorities, bishops call for “concrete action”
- 2015-02-12 - Blasphemy against the Christian faith
- 2015-02-10 - Elections in Delhi: nationalists collapse, for the Church it is "a new beginning"
- 2015-02-09 - Bishops of Latin rite: "We urgently need to respect the rule of law, peace and harmony"
- 2015-02-06 - Attacks on churches: Home Minister, Rajnath Singh, promises security to churches
- 2015-01-30 - Bishops to the government: "To support a secular India and respectful of the rights"