ASIA/INDIA- A message of hope and resurrection among the detainees in Orissa
Phulbani (Agenzia Fides) - Bringing a message of hope and resurrection to the inmates of Orissa, also and especially to those who are unjustly in prison: is what a Christian community did in Kandhamal, district of the state of Orissa sadly known for the anti-Christian massacres in 2008. As reported to Fides, a special prayer meeting was held in prison in Phulbani by Fr. Mathew Puthyadom, pastor of the church "Light of Christ". Phulbani is a town in the district and in its prison there are 188 prisoners: among them are some of Christian faith, falsely accused of being implicated in the murder of the Hindu leader Laxmanananda Swarswati. His assassination in 2008, led to the charges on the Christian community and was the pretext for the subsequent reaction of indiscriminate violence against the community, which was victim of terrible violence and destruction wrought by members of Hindu fundamentalist groups.
Father Mathew, after the authorization received by the superintendent of the prison, brought with him 14 people, including several children of prisoners, who lived a very intense moment of dialogue and prayer. With those who will spend Easter behind bars they shared a gospel message of joy, forgiveness, mercy and hope, which brought a breath of kindness and news in the the prison environment, appreciated by security personnel and prison authorities. (SD-PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/3/2012)
- 2015-05-20 - The Indian Bishops: "We would be happy for the canonization of Mother Teresa"
- 2015-05-16 - Five attacks in five days against the Christians in Madhya Pradesh
- 2015-05-06 - 35 per cent children in India have poor lung capacity
- 2015-04-22 - Catholic schools are not "against Hindu culture"
- 2015-04-17 - Vandalizing acts against a Catholic church in Uttar Pradesh
- 2015-04-13 - Hindu extremist leader: "Sterilise Christians and Muslims in India"
- 2015-04-01 - Flood emergency in Kashmir
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"