ASIA/INDIA- A message of hope and resurrection among the detainees in Orissa
Phulbani (Agenzia Fides) - Bringing a message of hope and resurrection to the inmates of Orissa, also and especially to those who are unjustly in prison: is what a Christian community did in Kandhamal, district of the state of Orissa sadly known for the anti-Christian massacres in 2008. As reported to Fides, a special prayer meeting was held in prison in Phulbani by Fr. Mathew Puthyadom, pastor of the church "Light of Christ". Phulbani is a town in the district and in its prison there are 188 prisoners: among them are some of Christian faith, falsely accused of being implicated in the murder of the Hindu leader Laxmanananda Swarswati. His assassination in 2008, led to the charges on the Christian community and was the pretext for the subsequent reaction of indiscriminate violence against the community, which was victim of terrible violence and destruction wrought by members of Hindu fundamentalist groups.
Father Mathew, after the authorization received by the superintendent of the prison, brought with him 14 people, including several children of prisoners, who lived a very intense moment of dialogue and prayer. With those who will spend Easter behind bars they shared a gospel message of joy, forgiveness, mercy and hope, which brought a breath of kindness and news in the the prison environment, appreciated by security personnel and prison authorities. (SD-PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/3/2012)
- 2014-04-15 - The Bishops to the President: We will give a great contribution to the country
- 2014-03-27 - Street children who live in train stations rescued by a Catholic priest
- 2014-03-21 - "Do justice": the Indian Church next to the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - Three convicted and six acquitted for the rape of a nun in the massacres of Christians in Orissa
- 2014-03-12 - "A just peace! "Church's solidarity with the people of Syria
- 2014-03-10 - Christians in Goa ask: To postpone the elections scheduled on Holy Thursday
- 2014-03-10 - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
- 2014-03-07 - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted