ASIA/INDIA- A message of hope and resurrection among the detainees in Orissa
Phulbani (Agenzia Fides) - Bringing a message of hope and resurrection to the inmates of Orissa, also and especially to those who are unjustly in prison: is what a Christian community did in Kandhamal, district of the state of Orissa sadly known for the anti-Christian massacres in 2008. As reported to Fides, a special prayer meeting was held in prison in Phulbani by Fr. Mathew Puthyadom, pastor of the church "Light of Christ". Phulbani is a town in the district and in its prison there are 188 prisoners: among them are some of Christian faith, falsely accused of being implicated in the murder of the Hindu leader Laxmanananda Swarswati. His assassination in 2008, led to the charges on the Christian community and was the pretext for the subsequent reaction of indiscriminate violence against the community, which was victim of terrible violence and destruction wrought by members of Hindu fundamentalist groups.
Father Mathew, after the authorization received by the superintendent of the prison, brought with him 14 people, including several children of prisoners, who lived a very intense moment of dialogue and prayer. With those who will spend Easter behind bars they shared a gospel message of joy, forgiveness, mercy and hope, which brought a breath of kindness and news in the the prison environment, appreciated by security personnel and prison authorities. (SD-PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/3/2012)
- 2014-11-25 - Hindu extremists: Catholic missionaries in schools are not to be called "father"
- 2014-11-21 - The Franciscans at the forefront for "food security"
- 2014-11-04 - The Bishops: "With silence, the government becomes an accomplice in the attacks on minorities"
- 2014-10-22 - Appeal for minorities is shared in civil society
- 2014-10-21 - The Franciscans prepare the Year for consecrated life
- 2014-10-15 - A center of excellence for technical formation regarding disadvantaged young people
- 2014-10-14 - The Franciscan Indians in the front line against violence on women
- 2014-10-10 - Christians to the government: "We are not terrorists"
- 2014-10-10 - Bosco Tea Project for more than 700 tea laborers
- 2014-10-09 - The Jesuits denounce: "600 attacks against religious minorities: stop to violence"