ASIA/SYRIA - The UN: Child soldiers among the rebels, "a sign of the ongoing tragedy" says a Jesuit
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The United Nations has received information of the presence of child soldiers in the ranks of the free Syrian Army rebels, fighting President Bashar al-Assad. This was reported by the UN Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict, Radhika Coomaraswamy, without providing further details and remembering that "the international conventions ban the use of soldiers under the age of 16".
Asked by Fides, Fr. Paul Dall'Oglio, a Jesuit of the Monastery of Deir Mar Musa, said from Damascus: "The news, unfortunately, does not astonish me: the presence of teenagers who take part in the fighting is a notorious phenomenon and is part of the tragedy we are experiencing. Moreover, throughout this terrible year, there have been cases of children and adolescents arrested, tortured and killed. The political mobilization of youth and adolescents, in their vehemence and irresponsibility, was and is a present element in the popular uprising. Their militarization, however, is due to the ongoing civil conflict in some areas. Resorting to arms and violence drowns any possibility of dialogue and mediation, supported by most of the Syrian people". Dall'Oglio recalls that "the Syrian Christians, despite their fears, support unity and reconciliation of the Syrian people".
In this phase, the Jesuit launches an appeal: "We demand that the UN endeavors to protect children and prevent Syrian adolescents to arm themselves. We call on the forces to not arm children. We hope that a greater UN responsibility on the ground, suggested by Kofi Annan, will mean greater protection for all youth and Syrian childhood". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 27/3/2012)
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees