AMERICA/CUBA - Cuban Catholics are ready to welcome Pope Benedict, "Pilgrim of Love"
Havana (Agenzia Fides) – We have received the testimony of the preparation of Pope Benedict’s arrival to Cuba for his pastoral visit from several parishes. Father Raul tells Fides how they have prepared the Christians of the island. Many pastoral workers went from door to door delivering missionary leaflets with a catechesis explaining who the Pope is and the meaning of this "Pilgrim of Love" to Cuba. Many families attached a poster of "Welcome to the Pope" on the door of their house, thus manifesting their joy.
The youth pastoral invited several groups of young people from parishes to meetings at a city level, in public squares and parks, where conferences were held, prayers, songs and movies shown in order to get the young as interested as possible in the Pope’s visit.
"We received confirmation of pilgrims who arrived from the furthest dioceses of the island to attend the Holy Father’s Mass, such as the Diocese of Ciego de Avila and Guantanamo. They will be in Santiago de Cuba to celebrate the "Pilgrim of Love" said Fr. Raul.
"I personally know the group of young people, that due to the great problems of public transport, left two days ago from the rural parishes of the Diocese of Santa Clara in order to arrive in time to Santiago de Cuba and to welcome Pope Benedict", says Fr. Raul. "Throughout the country this joy of waiting for the Pastor to confirm our faith is lived", says Fr. Raul Rodriguez. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/3/2012)
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 AMERICA/CUBA - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/CUBA - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services
- 2012-11-21 AMERICA/CUBA - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"
- 2012-11-14 AMERICA/CUBA - A "sheet" that managed to arrive where the Church did not arrive...for 50 years
- 2012-11-06 AMERICA/CUBA - "Hurricane Sandy hits Cuba: houses and churches destroyed, lack of food, electricity and telephone line, but nobody talks about it": dramatic testimony from Santiago de Cuba
- 2012-04-03 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday as a public holiday and a Cardinal Ortega’s message broadcast on national television
- 2012-03-26 AMERICA/CUBA - Cuban Catholics are ready to welcome Pope Benedict, "Pilgrim of Love"
- 2012-03-22 AMERICA/CUBA - "The expectation that I hear in all the Christian communities for the arrival of Benedict XVI is the same as 14 years ago, for John Paul II’s visit," says Fr. Raul Rodriguez