ASIA/PAKISTAN - Nearly a thousand women were killed in 2011, accused of "crimes of honor"
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - According to a recent report by an organization for the defense of human rights, almost a thousand women were killed in 2011 in Pakistan accused of "crimes of honor", very common in South Asia. A total of 943 women died because of these crimes at the hands of their own families or tribal councils, who wanted to punish them for violating their code. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) report that 93 of the women killed were minors. Honor killings occur when a Pakistani family, usually in rural areas, believes that his honor has been "tainted" by the attitude of a housewife who refused to get married, or who might have escaped with another man or tried to marry a person who was not liked or approved by the family. The HRCP also reported that in 2011, 4,500 cases of domestic violence and 701 female suicides, without specifying the reasons were registered. On the other hand, a total of 389 people were killed in attacks directed against various Islamic sects and 16 journalists were killed while doing their work. Other 2,307 citizens were victims of attacks by terrorists. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/3/2012)
- 2015-08-27 - Bishops: we need to protect children from sexual abuse
- 2015-08-25 - Asia Bibi case: her father will be able to visit her in prison
- 2015-08-24 - Religions committed to finding unity and justice
- 2015-08-20 - A Protestant Pastor and other Christians accused of blasphemy
- 2015-08-03 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Floods and monsoon rains continue to strike the country causing major damage to people and structures
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Young Christian woman abducted and forced into Islamic marriage
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Every year a thousand Christian and Hindu girls suffer forced conversion to Islam and abuse
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Minor Christian girl sold and abused
- 2015-07-22 - The Dominican Channan: "Dialogue with Islam to change the blasphemy law"
- 2015-07-22 - Asia Bibi's case before the Supreme Court: sentence suspended and review of the case