ASIA/PAKISTAN - Nearly a thousand women were killed in 2011, accused of "crimes of honor"
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - According to a recent report by an organization for the defense of human rights, almost a thousand women were killed in 2011 in Pakistan accused of "crimes of honor", very common in South Asia. A total of 943 women died because of these crimes at the hands of their own families or tribal councils, who wanted to punish them for violating their code. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) report that 93 of the women killed were minors. Honor killings occur when a Pakistani family, usually in rural areas, believes that his honor has been "tainted" by the attitude of a housewife who refused to get married, or who might have escaped with another man or tried to marry a person who was not liked or approved by the family. The HRCP also reported that in 2011, 4,500 cases of domestic violence and 701 female suicides, without specifying the reasons were registered. On the other hand, a total of 389 people were killed in attacks directed against various Islamic sects and 16 journalists were killed while doing their work. Other 2,307 citizens were victims of attacks by terrorists. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/3/2012)
- 2013-05-15 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Damage to the church and bishop wounded in the attack in Quetta
- 2013-05-13 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Church: "Democracy strengthens: constructive dialogue with the new Premier"
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Bishops' Appeal for the elections: "Vote for those who promote harmony"
- 2013-05-08 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Threats to a Christian NGO committed to a transparent policy and the participation of women
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Every year, 87,000 children die from preventable diseases
- 2013-04-22 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Caritas in Quetta to help the earthquake victims in Baluchistan
- 2013-04-18 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian youth killed by a Muslim after a fight: the police is covering the murderer
- 2013-04-18 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Terrorist attacks against candidates and political parties: Christians' appeal for democracy
- 2013-04-13 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Commission for National Harmony: death penalty for the false accusations of blasphemy
- 2013-04-08 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Blasphemy: it is urgent to defend the Christians from summary executions and to protect minorities