ASIA/PAKISTAN - Nearly a thousand women were killed in 2011, accused of "crimes of honor"
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - According to a recent report by an organization for the defense of human rights, almost a thousand women were killed in 2011 in Pakistan accused of "crimes of honor", very common in South Asia. A total of 943 women died because of these crimes at the hands of their own families or tribal councils, who wanted to punish them for violating their code. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) report that 93 of the women killed were minors. Honor killings occur when a Pakistani family, usually in rural areas, believes that his honor has been "tainted" by the attitude of a housewife who refused to get married, or who might have escaped with another man or tried to marry a person who was not liked or approved by the family. The HRCP also reported that in 2011, 4,500 cases of domestic violence and 701 female suicides, without specifying the reasons were registered. On the other hand, a total of 389 people were killed in attacks directed against various Islamic sects and 16 journalists were killed while doing their work. Other 2,307 citizens were victims of attacks by terrorists. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/3/2012)
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Women in Pakistan: Christian girls raped by Muslims
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Threats to judges and lawyers: two Christians accused of blasphemy remain in jail
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/PAKISTAN – A young Christian girl killed by the Taliban for helping a Muslim converted to Christianity
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Leading politicians reassure new Archbishop: “government will respect the rights of Pakistan’s Churches”
- 2014-02-21 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Dialogue with the Taliban? Peace march to say "no" to extremism
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN – Inauguration ceremony for Archbishop Shaw in Lahore: "A new beginning for the Church", says the Nuncio
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/PAKISTAN - "Who killed Sabir Masih?": Mysterious death of a Christian who was in police custody
- 2014-02-13 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Anglican Bishop of Karachi: "Christians in danger, police and judiciary in lethargy"
- 2014-02-04 ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail: the appeal of Christians allowed, the Lahore High Court does not release extremists
- 2014-01-31 ASIA/PAKISTAN - 2014 proclaimed "year of peace and hope" in Faisalabad