ASIA/PAKISTAN - Nearly a thousand women were killed in 2011, accused of "crimes of honor"
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - According to a recent report by an organization for the defense of human rights, almost a thousand women were killed in 2011 in Pakistan accused of "crimes of honor", very common in South Asia. A total of 943 women died because of these crimes at the hands of their own families or tribal councils, who wanted to punish them for violating their code. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) report that 93 of the women killed were minors. Honor killings occur when a Pakistani family, usually in rural areas, believes that his honor has been "tainted" by the attitude of a housewife who refused to get married, or who might have escaped with another man or tried to marry a person who was not liked or approved by the family. The HRCP also reported that in 2011, 4,500 cases of domestic violence and 701 female suicides, without specifying the reasons were registered. On the other hand, a total of 389 people were killed in attacks directed against various Islamic sects and 16 journalists were killed while doing their work. Other 2,307 citizens were victims of attacks by terrorists. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/3/2012)
- 2014-07-28 - "Terrorism and intolerance are the wounds of Pakistan"
- 2014-07-24 - Also displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan: no to discrimination
- 2014-07-05 - Escape from terrorism and extremism: the exodus of religious minorities has started
- 2014-07-03 - Terrorist groups settle in the Christian area of Essa Nagri in Karachi
- 2014-07-01 - Solidarity towards the orphans of the massacre in the church of Peshawar
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "A new springtime for the Church in our country"
- 2014-06-28 - Discrimination and violence against a Christian businessman, threatened by Islamic extremists
- 2014-06-25 - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi
- 2014-06-24 - Historic decision: the birth of the "National Council for the rights of minorities"
- 2014-06-20 - Missio-Aachen: a year dedicated to Pakistan