ASIA/PAKISTAN - Nearly a thousand women were killed in 2011, accused of "crimes of honor"
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - According to a recent report by an organization for the defense of human rights, almost a thousand women were killed in 2011 in Pakistan accused of "crimes of honor", very common in South Asia. A total of 943 women died because of these crimes at the hands of their own families or tribal councils, who wanted to punish them for violating their code. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) report that 93 of the women killed were minors. Honor killings occur when a Pakistani family, usually in rural areas, believes that his honor has been "tainted" by the attitude of a housewife who refused to get married, or who might have escaped with another man or tried to marry a person who was not liked or approved by the family. The HRCP also reported that in 2011, 4,500 cases of domestic violence and 701 female suicides, without specifying the reasons were registered. On the other hand, a total of 389 people were killed in attacks directed against various Islamic sects and 16 journalists were killed while doing their work. Other 2,307 citizens were victims of attacks by terrorists. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/3/2012)
- 2015-03-26 - The Jinnah Institute: "Continuous and constant violence against religious minorities"
- 2015-03-26 - Guaranteed education to Shama and Shehzad’s children, Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-03-25 - Two Christians accused of the lynching of two suspected terrorists
- 2015-03-25 - Shots fired against agents in front of St. Peter’s church in Lahore
- 2015-03-24 - The General Vicar of Lahore: "Release the innocent among the Christians arrested"
- 2015-03-23 - The case of the young Christian tortured and killed by the police goes unpunished
- 2015-03-20 - The pastor of Youhanabad: "Critical situation, let us pray with the Via Crucis"
- 2015-03-17 - The Archbishop of Lahore at the funeral of the victims of Youhanabad: "Be men of peace"
- 2015-03-16 - The "Justice and Peace" Commission on the massacre of Christians: "Police negligent "
- 2015-03-16 - A "Day of Prayer for our martyrs" after the attacks on churches