AFRICA/MALI-Sporadic gun shots in Bamako, Mgr. Zerbo invites all to prayer and solidarity
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "We hear gun shots in the center of Bamako. From time to time we see military vehicles circulating on the main roads, from where shots fired in the air are heard. But in several districts of the city there remains a relative calm " report sources of the Episcopal Conference of Mali, reached by Fides in Bamako, where a group of military coup claim to have overthrown President Amadou Toumani Toure, to have suspended the Constitution and decreed the curfew. "Some civilians risk moving in the streets, despite the curfew. Much of the population, however, remained at home. The national television is broadcasting a statement of the military coup. No one knows where President Touré is. From what we know, within the Country the situation is calm, and the population continues its activities ". Reached by Fides, His Exc. Mgr. Jean Zerbo, Archbishop of Bamako, asks "everyone to pray" for them, "We have invited our community to be in solidarity with the victims and all those affected by these events", says the Archbishop.
The coup leaders accuse the President of incompetence in the management of military operations in the north of the Country against the majority Tuareg separatist movement and Islamist groups operating there.
Fides sources point out that the military say-so had been preceded in past weeks, by protests on behalf of the families of military personnel engaged in operations in northern Mali to combat the guerrillas. There was a demonstration of the soldiers’ wives followed by another of their sons and brothers. Another protest march was scheduled for tomorrow (March 23), but the coup preceded it. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/3/2012)
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
- 2013-08-01 - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"
- 2013-07-31 - Caritas Mali: "Elections substantially correct"
- 2013-07-27 - Presidential elections, Caritas urges to solve the humanitarian crisis
- 2013-06-24 - Meeting of Caritas on the humanitarian crisis in Mali
- 2013-06-19 - Mixed reactions to the peace agreement for Kidal
- 2013-04-29 - AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country