ASIA/SYRIA - The Apostolic Nuncio: "Full support for the UN plan to end violence"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The UN document on the conflict in Syria "is very good in content and should be fully supported as it is really urgent to put an end to violence": is the assessment of the Apostolic Nuncio to Syria, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Zenari, expressed in an interview with Fides. "Finally, a text that sees the total agreement of all members of the UN Security Council, and we hope will find a broad consensus," says the Vatican representative. The UN six-point document provides an end to violence, the progressive implementation of a ceasefire, the provision of humanitarian aid, the release of those detained arbitrarily, the free movement of journalists, the beginning of political dialogue.
The Nuncio participated yesterday in an interfaith prayer meeting held in the church of St. Cyril in Damascus, where the people prayed for the victims of violence and terrorism, in the presence of Christian and Muslim leaders. "It is urgent to pray for all victims of the conflict. It is urgent to mark a turning point at a humanitarian level: too many people are suffering and, in areas such as Homs, it is even impossible to carry out works of mercy such as burying the dead", remarks the Nuncio.
In Homs, according to a local source of Fides, there are only about 1,000 Christians, who live in hiding and in fear, in a neighborhood that "is caught between two fires," while fighting continues between army and rebels. Most Christians have already fled due to the growing violence, but "in this hell there are some angels, the few remaining priests who comfort and help the population that suffers". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/3/2012)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus