ASIA/SYRIA - The Apostolic Nuncio: "Full support for the UN plan to end violence"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The UN document on the conflict in Syria "is very good in content and should be fully supported as it is really urgent to put an end to violence": is the assessment of the Apostolic Nuncio to Syria, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Zenari, expressed in an interview with Fides. "Finally, a text that sees the total agreement of all members of the UN Security Council, and we hope will find a broad consensus," says the Vatican representative. The UN six-point document provides an end to violence, the progressive implementation of a ceasefire, the provision of humanitarian aid, the release of those detained arbitrarily, the free movement of journalists, the beginning of political dialogue.
The Nuncio participated yesterday in an interfaith prayer meeting held in the church of St. Cyril in Damascus, where the people prayed for the victims of violence and terrorism, in the presence of Christian and Muslim leaders. "It is urgent to pray for all victims of the conflict. It is urgent to mark a turning point at a humanitarian level: too many people are suffering and, in areas such as Homs, it is even impossible to carry out works of mercy such as burying the dead", remarks the Nuncio.
In Homs, according to a local source of Fides, there are only about 1,000 Christians, who live in hiding and in fear, in a neighborhood that "is caught between two fires," while fighting continues between army and rebels. Most Christians have already fled due to the growing violence, but "in this hell there are some angels, the few remaining priests who comfort and help the population that suffers". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/3/2012)
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?