ASIA/SYRIA - The Apostolic Nuncio: "Full support for the UN plan to end violence"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The UN document on the conflict in Syria "is very good in content and should be fully supported as it is really urgent to put an end to violence": is the assessment of the Apostolic Nuncio to Syria, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Zenari, expressed in an interview with Fides. "Finally, a text that sees the total agreement of all members of the UN Security Council, and we hope will find a broad consensus," says the Vatican representative. The UN six-point document provides an end to violence, the progressive implementation of a ceasefire, the provision of humanitarian aid, the release of those detained arbitrarily, the free movement of journalists, the beginning of political dialogue.
The Nuncio participated yesterday in an interfaith prayer meeting held in the church of St. Cyril in Damascus, where the people prayed for the victims of violence and terrorism, in the presence of Christian and Muslim leaders. "It is urgent to pray for all victims of the conflict. It is urgent to mark a turning point at a humanitarian level: too many people are suffering and, in areas such as Homs, it is even impossible to carry out works of mercy such as burying the dead", remarks the Nuncio.
In Homs, according to a local source of Fides, there are only about 1,000 Christians, who live in hiding and in fear, in a neighborhood that "is caught between two fires," while fighting continues between army and rebels. Most Christians have already fled due to the growing violence, but "in this hell there are some angels, the few remaining priests who comfort and help the population that suffers". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/3/2012)
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture