ASIA/SYRIA - The Apostolic Nuncio: "Full support for the UN plan to end violence"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The UN document on the conflict in Syria "is very good in content and should be fully supported as it is really urgent to put an end to violence": is the assessment of the Apostolic Nuncio to Syria, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Zenari, expressed in an interview with Fides. "Finally, a text that sees the total agreement of all members of the UN Security Council, and we hope will find a broad consensus," says the Vatican representative. The UN six-point document provides an end to violence, the progressive implementation of a ceasefire, the provision of humanitarian aid, the release of those detained arbitrarily, the free movement of journalists, the beginning of political dialogue.
The Nuncio participated yesterday in an interfaith prayer meeting held in the church of St. Cyril in Damascus, where the people prayed for the victims of violence and terrorism, in the presence of Christian and Muslim leaders. "It is urgent to pray for all victims of the conflict. It is urgent to mark a turning point at a humanitarian level: too many people are suffering and, in areas such as Homs, it is even impossible to carry out works of mercy such as burying the dead", remarks the Nuncio.
In Homs, according to a local source of Fides, there are only about 1,000 Christians, who live in hiding and in fear, in a neighborhood that "is caught between two fires," while fighting continues between army and rebels. Most Christians have already fled due to the growing violence, but "in this hell there are some angels, the few remaining priests who comfort and help the population that suffers". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/3/2012)
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture
- 2015-02-27 - Anguish for Christians held hostage by jihadists; Syrian Catholic Archbishop Hindo: avoid unnecessary alarm
- 2015-02-26 - The jihadists of the Islamic State deport Christian prisoners of the villages of Khabur
- 2015-02-25 - Christian villages attacked: more than 100 hostages in the hands of the jihadists; Archbishop Hindo denounces the "wretched" choices of the West
- 2015-02-24 - Islamic State jihadists attack Christian villages along the river Khabur
- 2015-02-20 - Syrian-Orthodox priest detained by Kurds is released
- 2015-02-19 - Orthodox priest and laity arrested by Kurd military
- 2015-02-06 - Kurdish Militia regain control of Tel Hormuz, reestablished the cross removed by jihadists
- 2015-02-06 - Bombing in Damascus, the Franciscan monastery attacked in the area of Bab Touma