ASIA/SYRIA - The Apostolic Nuncio: "Full support for the UN plan to end violence"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The UN document on the conflict in Syria "is very good in content and should be fully supported as it is really urgent to put an end to violence": is the assessment of the Apostolic Nuncio to Syria, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Zenari, expressed in an interview with Fides. "Finally, a text that sees the total agreement of all members of the UN Security Council, and we hope will find a broad consensus," says the Vatican representative. The UN six-point document provides an end to violence, the progressive implementation of a ceasefire, the provision of humanitarian aid, the release of those detained arbitrarily, the free movement of journalists, the beginning of political dialogue.
The Nuncio participated yesterday in an interfaith prayer meeting held in the church of St. Cyril in Damascus, where the people prayed for the victims of violence and terrorism, in the presence of Christian and Muslim leaders. "It is urgent to pray for all victims of the conflict. It is urgent to mark a turning point at a humanitarian level: too many people are suffering and, in areas such as Homs, it is even impossible to carry out works of mercy such as burying the dead", remarks the Nuncio.
In Homs, according to a local source of Fides, there are only about 1,000 Christians, who live in hiding and in fear, in a neighborhood that "is caught between two fires," while fighting continues between army and rebels. Most Christians have already fled due to the growing violence, but "in this hell there are some angels, the few remaining priests who comfort and help the population that suffers". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/3/2012)
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers