AMERICA/ECUADOR-The march of the indigenous reaches Quito: to protest the use of water and mineral resources
Quito (Agenzia Fides) - More than 500 participants in the march that tomorrow will reach the capital of Ecuador, Quito, to protest against the law on the use of water and against large-scale mining operations, as reported by local agencies . The President of the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE), Humberto Cholango, told the press that want to come to Quito to demonstrate their opposition as CONAIE, ie as the leading organization of indigenous people in the country. The group that represents other small indigenous people of the area Saquisilí, started on 8 March from El Pangui, about 700 kilometers from Quito.
Meanwhile, the central government went ahead with the studies for the approval of laws and has not authorized the march. Indeed, according to the local press, the representative of Ecuador has warned that "if they are 500, we are 50,000" favorable to the operation of mines on a large scale, as demonstrated by the agreement and the concession to the Ecuacorriente company to exploit deposits of copper in the open, in the El Pangui area.
CONAIE states that the Indigenous are the third part of Ecuador's population (14.3 million) and have contributed to the downfall of previous Presidents, as Abdala Bucaram in 1997 and Jamil Mahuad in 2000. Current President, Rafael Correa, who does not preclude his re-election until 2017 having majority support in the polls, said the march is hiding behind the intention to destabilize the government. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/3/2012)
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The first Holy Colombian, big feast also in the Ande of Ecuador
- 2013-04-27 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Clashes amaong Indians and exploitation of the earth: for the Bishops it is "a conflict due to indifference"
- 2013-04-27 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The Church defends the Amazon environment, threatened by the interests of market
- 2013-04-09 AMERICA/ECUADOR - "A provocation to divide the community," the Archbishop denounces the protests of Evangelicals
- 2013-01-15 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The Bishops for the presidential elections, "the Christian should not adhere to ideological systems that oppose to the faith he professes"
- 2012-12-17 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The phenomenon of child labor spreads: in the streets, factories, fields
- 2012-11-16 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Controversy over a provision that hurts the religious sensibility of the sick
- 2012-11-12 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Assembly of the Missionaries: to strengthen faith for the Permanent Mission and contribute to a New Evangelization.
- 2012-10-31 AMERICA/ECUADOR - "Close stories to be listened far away": contest to promote radio stations
- 2012-10-26 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Ecuador in celebration for the beatification of the Missionary Sister, Mary Troncatti