AMERICA/ECUADOR-The march of the indigenous reaches Quito: to protest the use of water and mineral resources
Quito (Agenzia Fides) - More than 500 participants in the march that tomorrow will reach the capital of Ecuador, Quito, to protest against the law on the use of water and against large-scale mining operations, as reported by local agencies . The President of the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE), Humberto Cholango, told the press that want to come to Quito to demonstrate their opposition as CONAIE, ie as the leading organization of indigenous people in the country. The group that represents other small indigenous people of the area Saquisilí, started on 8 March from El Pangui, about 700 kilometers from Quito.
Meanwhile, the central government went ahead with the studies for the approval of laws and has not authorized the march. Indeed, according to the local press, the representative of Ecuador has warned that "if they are 500, we are 50,000" favorable to the operation of mines on a large scale, as demonstrated by the agreement and the concession to the Ecuacorriente company to exploit deposits of copper in the open, in the El Pangui area.
CONAIE states that the Indigenous are the third part of Ecuador's population (14.3 million) and have contributed to the downfall of previous Presidents, as Abdala Bucaram in 1997 and Jamil Mahuad in 2000. Current President, Rafael Correa, who does not preclude his re-election until 2017 having majority support in the polls, said the march is hiding behind the intention to destabilize the government. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/3/2012)
- 2014-03-14 - "Laity and religious freedom": the voice of the Church
- 2013-12-12 - "Adopt a project": people can redeem thanks to education
- 2013-11-15 - National Congress: Religious freedom and the public dimension of faith for the closing of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-30 - Resignation of the Apostolic Vicar of Galapagos and appointment of successor
- 2013-10-14 - AMERICA/ECUADOR – Legalization of abortion, the President threatens to resign: the Church praises him
- 2013-09-16 - Commitment of the parish of Imantag for vulnerable people
- 2013-08-22 - Over 4 million working children engaged in high-risk activities
- 2013-08-09 - International Day of Indigenous Peoples: the demands of the indigenous of Ecuador
- 2013-08-02 - OCLACC Assembly: The Mission of communicators, promoting the spread of truth
- 2013-07-10 - Bishop Arellano launches the alarm concerning the new legislation on drug use, the country is divided