ASIA/VIETNAM - A nun and a lay healed through the intercession of Cardinal Van Thuan
Hue (Agenzia Fides) - The Vietnamese Church is working to gather evidence relevant to the cause of beatification of Vietnamese Cardinal Francis Xavier Van Thuan, promoted by the Pontifical Council "Justice and Peace", of which Van Thuan was President. As reported to Fides from local sources in the diocese of Hue (Central Vietnam), among the testimonies gathered by the Church of Hue, there are two women (a nun and a lay person) who claim to have been healed through the intercession of the Cardinal.
Fides is able to anticipate briefly the two stories. Sister Marie Thi Lan, of the Congregation of the Daughters of Mary Immaculate, said that in 2009 she had to undergo a delicate eye surgery. The doctors never gave her assurances that her sight problems would have been resolved and feared the danger of blindness". I prayed to the Cardinal and my eyes healed without surgery," says the nun.
Also in the diocese of Hue, a woman of the parish of Thach Han, Mrs. Mary Le Thi Than, aged 70, was bed-ridden for over 40 years because of a severe form of neuralgia. She relied on prayer and intercession of Cardinal Van Thuan and has recently healed, resuming a normal life and daily activities, which for decades was unable to do.
Hue is the place where Cardinal Van Thuan was born, grew up and was ordained a priest. He was also Rector of the Seminary of Hoan Thien and Vicar General of the diocese.
Among the witnesses who want to talk about the work and the Cardinal’s virtues, as part of the diocesan phase of the process, assigned to the Vicariate of Rome, there are also the Archbishop of Hue, Archbishop Stephen Nguyen Nhu, a professor who taught at the Seminary with the Cardinal, five priests who are his spiritual children, a priest who was the Cardinal’s childhood friend, two nuns, three lay members of the "Congregation of Hope" founded by the Cardinal. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/3/2012)
- 2015-02-05 - Vietnamese NGO Report on human rights and religious freedom
- 2014-11-19 - Attacks and arrests in a Mennonite Christian Center
- 2014-10-31 - Catholics in Hanoi demand the return of a land that belongs to the Church
- 2014-10-20 - The Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh city: prayer and hope for the Vatican-Vietnam diplomatic ties
- 2014-09-23 - Family, cradle of faith and of Christian witness
- 2014-09-12 - Land is a source of livelihood for 14% of the indigenous people living in the Country
- 2014-08-01 - The UN Special Rapporteur: "Serious violations of religious freedom"
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"
- 2014-07-02 - "Christian family, the cradle of vocations to priesthood" for the Church in Vietnam
- 2014-06-26 - Brutal police repression on Christians Mennonites