AFRICA/MADAGASCAR-The Apostolic Exhortation Africae Munus at the center of the meeting of the African Regional Episcopal Conferences
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - The second meeting of the Secretary Generals of the Regional Episcopal Conferences of Africa (15-20 March) ends today, March 20, in Antananarivo, the capital of Madagascar. According to a statement sent to Fides: "The meeting takes place at a difficult time for the Malagasy people, who must cope with the severe damage caused by the cyclone Giovanna, which devastated on February 13 different regions of the Country. Local organizers had proposed to cancel the meeting due to the destruction of the roof of the Episcopio, where originally the participants had to be welcomed. The Secretary General of SECAM, however, asked to find another place, to allow participants to express such solidarity and closeness to the Malagasy people".
The meeting was organized by the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM/SECAM) and the theme was the diffusion and implementation of the post-synodal Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Benedict XVI’s "Africae Munus".
During the works, each region of SECAM shared their experiences and presented the work it is doing with particular reference to Africae Munus. The delegates expressed their desire for closer collaboration between the Secretariat of SECAM and the Regional Episcopal Conferences. Regarding evangelization, conducting a research at a continental level is recommended, involving Catholic professionals of various disciplines, with the strengthening of a network at all levels in the Church. It also calls for a revision of the methods of evangelization, catechesis and formation of operators of evangelization, with particular reference to the appeal made by Pope Benedict XVI for a New Evangelization. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/3/2012)
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Food insecurity opens the door to tuberculosis
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - National dialogue mediated by the Ecumenical Council of Christian Churches begins
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - One person was killed in a demonstration against the alleged killers of Sister Marie Emmanuel
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR – Deep emotion for the killing of a nun
- 2013-01-16 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Food-for-work: plan to keep the forests and help the people
- 2012-12-13 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Traditional midwives help save women in childbirth
- 2012-12-03 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - An investigation into alleged violence of the soldiers in the south has been announced
- 2012-11-26 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR -Prisoners: also condemned to chronic malnutrition
- 2012-11-06 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - One out of 7 women is sexually exploited: poverty allows prostitution to spread
- 2012-10-25 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - A dispensary and a center for the disabled have been inaugurated, a light of hope for the people of Madagascar