AMERICA/EL SALVADOR-El Salvador recalls Mgr. Romero, murdered 32 years ago
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The anniversary of Mgr. Oscar Arnulfo Romero’s death will be celebrated for the first time in the church of the Rosary, because the war veterans have occupied the Metropolitan Cathedral of San Salvador for the past two months (see Fides 16/01/2012), calling for greater attention towards the social sector. The representative of the Romero Foundation, Msgr. Ricardo Urioste, expressed his displeasure because the cultural and religious celebrations for the 32nd anniversary of Mgr. Romero’s death will not not be held in the Cathedral, where the remains of the Archbishop are kept. "These are facts that we deplore, because we consider them an insult to the faith and to the memory of Monsignor Romero," said Msgr. Urioste, adding that the protesters have no intention of leaving the main Catholic religious center of the country.
As reported by Odin Martinez, another activist of the Romero Foundation, the calendar of commemorative activities started yesterday, Monday, March 19, with an exhibition of photographs and documents about the life of Mgr. Romero, who became known as "the voice of the voiceless." From the information Fides received it is learned that on March 24, the day that Mgr. Romero was killed 32 years ago while celebrating Mass in a small chapel in the north-east of the capital, the local Church has prepared a great cultural event to be held in the Plaza Divino Salvador del Mundo. At the end, the faithful, religious communities and social groups, will go on pilgrimage to the church of El Rosario, where the auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, Monsignor Gregorio Rosa Chavez, will preside at the concelebrated Mass with the participation of twenty priests, who have also come from abroad. In the evening some bands will give life to the vigil, which will be prolonged until the next day. State media will broadcast the sermons that cost the life of the Archbishop, as an act of homage.
In El Salvador, March 24 is a festive day: the "National Day of Mgr. Oscar Arnulfo Romero Galdámez" (see Fides 12/03/2010) and also the United Nations General Assembly has proclaimed March 24 as "International Day for the Right to the Truth on serious violations of human rights and for the dignity of victims". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/3/2012)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Truce or peace process, but the population still suffers violence, denounce the Bishops
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - OAS and government together in the peace process, the truce between the gangs is a first step
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Mgr. Romero was not a politician but a true pastor
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The truce between the gangs is a positive iniative, but more needs to be done
- 2013-02-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Appeal for electoral campaign without violence and with transparency
- 2013-01-22 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The Vatican - observer of the Central American Integration System (SICA)
- 2012-11-16 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "United for life and for peace," the Catholic initiative to support the truce among the gangs
- 2012-10-15 AMERICA/ EL SALVADOR - "Politics is discredited, it has to be retrieved" urges Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2012-08-03 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures