ASIA/SYRIA - The Apostolic Nuncio: "The humanitarian mission is a blessed initiative"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "The humanitarian mission is a blessed initiative, that we encourage strongly. We need an urgent effort: although we have no details yet on its development, it is an intervention welcomed and long awaited. Hopefully, in the field of humanitarian assistance, more and more intervention efforts will be activated: "This is what His Exc. Mgr. Mario Zenari, Apostolic Nuncio to Syria said to Fides, commenting on the announcement of an impending humanitarian mission in Syria, a joint initiative between the UN, the Syrian government, the Islamic Organisation for Economic Co-operation.
“With regards to the exodus of refugees, which continues towards Lebanon and Turkey, the Nuncio said: "The exodus worries all of us in Syria. The forced exit from one’s homeland, in these conditions of suffering, moves to compassion: we suffer along with them. They are poor families who leave their life, home, loved ones in a hurry, and head towards an unknown precarious future. Overall, people are suffering and tired with the long conflict: yesterday marked 12 months and was a moment of sad and painful reflection, in this spring which is late on arriving, while people's hopes fade," said Mgr. Zenari with a sad tone. "The situation is really complicated, but the most serious issue is that one does not see the end of the tunnel," says the Nuncio.
In relation to the population, adds in an interview with Fides the Maronite Archbishop of Damascus, Mgr. Samir Nassar, who had spoken of "the country headed into the unknown", "we are called to give psychological support, as well as pastoral and spiritual to the people who are exhausted by the suffering and insecurity."(PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/3/2012)
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette