ASIA/SYRIA - The Apostolic Nuncio: "The humanitarian mission is a blessed initiative"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "The humanitarian mission is a blessed initiative, that we encourage strongly. We need an urgent effort: although we have no details yet on its development, it is an intervention welcomed and long awaited. Hopefully, in the field of humanitarian assistance, more and more intervention efforts will be activated: "This is what His Exc. Mgr. Mario Zenari, Apostolic Nuncio to Syria said to Fides, commenting on the announcement of an impending humanitarian mission in Syria, a joint initiative between the UN, the Syrian government, the Islamic Organisation for Economic Co-operation.
“With regards to the exodus of refugees, which continues towards Lebanon and Turkey, the Nuncio said: "The exodus worries all of us in Syria. The forced exit from one’s homeland, in these conditions of suffering, moves to compassion: we suffer along with them. They are poor families who leave their life, home, loved ones in a hurry, and head towards an unknown precarious future. Overall, people are suffering and tired with the long conflict: yesterday marked 12 months and was a moment of sad and painful reflection, in this spring which is late on arriving, while people's hopes fade," said Mgr. Zenari with a sad tone. "The situation is really complicated, but the most serious issue is that one does not see the end of the tunnel," says the Nuncio.
In relation to the population, adds in an interview with Fides the Maronite Archbishop of Damascus, Mgr. Samir Nassar, who had spoken of "the country headed into the unknown", "we are called to give psychological support, as well as pastoral and spiritual to the people who are exhausted by the suffering and insecurity."(PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/3/2012)
- 2015-02-27 - Anguish for Christians held hostage by jihadists; Syrian Catholic Archbishop Hindo: avoid unnecessary alarm
- 2015-02-26 - The jihadists of the Islamic State deport Christian prisoners of the villages of Khabur
- 2015-02-25 - Christian villages attacked: more than 100 hostages in the hands of the jihadists; Archbishop Hindo denounces the "wretched" choices of the West
- 2015-02-24 - Islamic State jihadists attack Christian villages along the river Khabur
- 2015-02-20 - Syrian-Orthodox priest detained by Kurds is released
- 2015-02-19 - Orthodox priest and laity arrested by Kurd military
- 2015-02-06 - Kurdish Militia regain control of Tel Hormuz, reestablished the cross removed by jihadists
- 2015-02-06 - Bombing in Damascus, the Franciscan monastery attacked in the area of Bab Touma
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children