AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The attention of the Bishops is also towards the clash between the local landless and Brazilian settlers
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - The Assembly n. 193 of the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay (CEP) is in progress, which analysis, among other problems of the social reality of the country, the conflict between the Brazilian soybean farmers and landless peasants of the east of the country. In the note sent to Fides it says that the Episcopal Conference has included in its agenda this year, a study of the situation of Ñacunday in the department of the High Paraná, 400 km east of Asuncion. Groups of landless Paraguayans, who call themselves "carperos" (those who live in tents), have camped out on the border region with Brazil, colliding with Brazilian farmers and settlers, known in this country as "brasiguayos". The "carperos", who since last September are still in their tents in front of the settlers’s farms in Ñacunday, ask the government to give them land, because according to them they were illegally granted to the "brasiguayos" during General Alfredo Stroessner’s dictatorship (1954-1989). The Bishops face the issue also because in these days, the National Institute of Rural Development and Land must intervene.
The Assembly also has on the agenda for the development of a protocol required by the Vatican to deal with any cases of pedophilia. The Assembly of the CEP began on March 14 and ends today, Friday the 16th. The Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Eliseo Antonio Ariotti participated during the first session of the work. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/3/2012)
- 2015-11-04 - "Drug trafficking affects justice in the country", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-07-20 - "Why are we so inhuman towards each other?" Asks Mgr. Gimenez denouncing violence
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians