AFRICA/KENYA - Gunfight at the Dadaab camps where 500,000 Somalis live; "situation at breaking point" says Caritas Somalia
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - A gunman this morning killed two civilians and seriously wounded a third person in the Dadaab refugee camp in northern Kenya, where more than 500,000 Somali refugees live. The security alarm had been launched in recent days by some members of the government in Nairobi, who had announced the return of 630,000 refugees in the liberated areas of Somalia in a few months.
"For several months the Dadaab camp has been experiencing a situation of insecurity, because the number of people received exceeds the capacity of its structures," says Maria Grazia Krawczyk to Fides, responsable of Caritas Somalia. "refugees continue to arrive and structures are at the limit. Tensions and violence have increased among the guests. The humanitarian organizations providing assistance in the camp have enabled some projects to address this situation. In particular, to prevent violence against women and children".
We ask the responsable of Caritas if also among the refugees they perceive the divisions between clans that have had much weight and are having on the situation of Somalia. "Surely it is the guests who divide themselves in clan – he answers-. We do not ask information on membership to this or that clan. In another situation, I am referring to the camp of Djibouti, those admitted are divided by geographical origin: there is a neighborhood of Eritrea, Ethiopian and Somali. "(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/3/2012)
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages