AFRICA/KENYA - Gunfight at the Dadaab camps where 500,000 Somalis live; "situation at breaking point" says Caritas Somalia
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - A gunman this morning killed two civilians and seriously wounded a third person in the Dadaab refugee camp in northern Kenya, where more than 500,000 Somali refugees live. The security alarm had been launched in recent days by some members of the government in Nairobi, who had announced the return of 630,000 refugees in the liberated areas of Somalia in a few months.
"For several months the Dadaab camp has been experiencing a situation of insecurity, because the number of people received exceeds the capacity of its structures," says Maria Grazia Krawczyk to Fides, responsable of Caritas Somalia. "refugees continue to arrive and structures are at the limit. Tensions and violence have increased among the guests. The humanitarian organizations providing assistance in the camp have enabled some projects to address this situation. In particular, to prevent violence against women and children".
We ask the responsable of Caritas if also among the refugees they perceive the divisions between clans that have had much weight and are having on the situation of Somalia. "Surely it is the guests who divide themselves in clan – he answers-. We do not ask information on membership to this or that clan. In another situation, I am referring to the camp of Djibouti, those admitted are divided by geographical origin: there is a neighborhood of Eritrea, Ethiopian and Somali. "(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/3/2012)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor