AFRICA/KENYA - Gunfight at the Dadaab camps where 500,000 Somalis live; "situation at breaking point" says Caritas Somalia
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - A gunman this morning killed two civilians and seriously wounded a third person in the Dadaab refugee camp in northern Kenya, where more than 500,000 Somali refugees live. The security alarm had been launched in recent days by some members of the government in Nairobi, who had announced the return of 630,000 refugees in the liberated areas of Somalia in a few months.
"For several months the Dadaab camp has been experiencing a situation of insecurity, because the number of people received exceeds the capacity of its structures," says Maria Grazia Krawczyk to Fides, responsable of Caritas Somalia. "refugees continue to arrive and structures are at the limit. Tensions and violence have increased among the guests. The humanitarian organizations providing assistance in the camp have enabled some projects to address this situation. In particular, to prevent violence against women and children".
We ask the responsable of Caritas if also among the refugees they perceive the divisions between clans that have had much weight and are having on the situation of Somalia. "Surely it is the guests who divide themselves in clan – he answers-. We do not ask information on membership to this or that clan. In another situation, I am referring to the camp of Djibouti, those admitted are divided by geographical origin: there is a neighborhood of Eritrea, Ethiopian and Somali. "(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/3/2012)
- 2014-04-16 - "Ensure a safe country for us and future generations with respect for human rights", asks Cardinal Njue
- 2014-03-27 - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
- 2014-03-24 - "The fundamentalists that strike Christians also threaten the local Imam", said the apostolic administrator of Mombasa
- 2014-01-07 - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
- 2013-11-19 - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 - AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 - Controversy over the assault at Westgate