AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops against free trade of drugs
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, His Exc. Mgr. Socrates Rene Sándigo, Bishop of Juigalpa, has declard to be against the decriminalization of the drug trade in Central America, because, in his view, the consequences would be "worse" for society. "The theory that consumption is reduced is false. I think that it would be the contrary, the use would be expanded, because it would be easier to find the drug and, therefore, we are exposing the person to the deterioration of his health," said the Bishop to the local television. "If society, led by the States, becomes very flexible, one can reach a point of extreme debauchery which then will be difficult to control," he underlined. "Since the drug does not pay taxes, it will be the same government institutions to suffer for this market that does not pay taxes," concluded the President of the Bishops of Nicaragua.
The Central American Presidents will meet on March 24 in Guatemala to discuss the legalization of drugs. According to information gathered by Fides, this proposal was put forward by the President of Guatemala, the retired general Otto Perez Molina, and his counterparts in the region have agreed to discuss it. Central America is used as a corridor for the trafficking of drugs produced in South America that goes to Mexico and the United States; in recent years its territory has been used by drug traffickers as a "warehouse" of these illegal substances. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/3/2012)
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
- 2013-02-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The new Nuncio: Holy See and Nicaragua together for the common good and for the family
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
- 2012-12-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Nicaragua celebrates 450 years of devotion to Mary
- 2012-11-22 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
- 2012-10-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Taxi strike blocks the capital, Archbishop appeals for calm and dialogue
- 2012-09-27 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops on the November 4 elections: "an opportunity to reflect on how power is exercised and politics practiced "
- 2012-09-26 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
- 2012-08-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarm for the phenomenon of forced pregnancies of young girls and adolescents
- 2012-07-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A course on the Social Doctrine of the Church has been inaugurated at the UCICAM