AMERICA/CUBA - The government of Cuba opens a website for the papal visit
Havana (Agenzia Fides) - "This are brave people!" Said Esteban Lazo Hernandez, vice president of the Council of State of Cuba, with respect to "a sincere welcome, joyful and well-organized, with full guarantee of safety, order and discipline ", in addition to the services to be offered" to tourists, the press and all those who come to Santiago de Cuba on the occasion of Benedict XVI’s visit, Head of state of the Vatican City. "This is the first news that we read on the website opened yesterday by the Cuban government on the occasion of the Holy Father’s visit. One can find all the information on Pope Ratzinger’s visit on the website, the second Pope to visit the island after John Paul II, in 1998. Besides the official program of the visit, there are articles on current and relevant data for the Catholic world, like the biography of the priest Felix Varela and a video on the Vatican City. Those browsing the website can also download videos on the historic visit of Pope John Paul II to Cuba
The visit of John Paul II marked a new beginning in relations between the Church and the state after decades of estrangement. The official Cuban newspaper "Granma" described as "excellent" the relations with the Vatican in view of Benedict XVI’s visit. The Church in recent years has become an important social protagonist and a regular interlocutor of the government. As evidence of this situation, the Archbishop of Havana, Cardinal Jaime Ortega, appeared on the state television yesterday, March 13, to talk about the Holy Father's pastoral visit. The newspaper "Granma" has also published an editorial that "welcomes" Benedict XVI during his visit, from March 26 to 28. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/3/2012)
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 AMERICA/CUBA - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/CUBA - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services
- 2012-11-21 AMERICA/CUBA - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"
- 2012-11-14 AMERICA/CUBA - A "sheet" that managed to arrive where the Church did not arrive...for 50 years
- 2012-11-06 AMERICA/CUBA - "Hurricane Sandy hits Cuba: houses and churches destroyed, lack of food, electricity and telephone line, but nobody talks about it": dramatic testimony from Santiago de Cuba
- 2012-04-03 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday as a public holiday and a Cardinal Ortega’s message broadcast on national television
- 2012-03-26 AMERICA/CUBA - Cuban Catholics are ready to welcome Pope Benedict, "Pilgrim of Love"
- 2012-03-22 AMERICA/CUBA - "The expectation that I hear in all the Christian communities for the arrival of Benedict XVI is the same as 14 years ago, for John Paul II’s visit," says Fr. Raul Rodriguez