ASIA/INDIA - Girl converted to Christianity thrown out of her house and beaten by Hindu extremists
Calcutta (Agenzia Fides) - Rekha is a girl who a few months ago discovered the message of Jesus Christ and embraced him in her life. Her conversion, however, was not accepted by her parents, of Hindu faith, and other members of the community of her village, Nutangram, near Calcutta, Indian state of West Bengal. And so, inform local sources of Fides, on 12 March Rekha was beaten and thrown out of her home and the village only because of the Christian faith. According to the story refered to Fides, a few months ago Rekha attended a liturgical celebration at the "Khodaejamat Church," the Protestant Christian community, and her heart was touched by grace and faith. Since then she attended religious services regularly, and her love for Jesus grew. The fact was criticized by family members who scolded and beat her, however, unable to dissuade her. Rekha found "the precious pearl " and refused to yield to pressure. That is why she was thrown out, and now she has found refuge with a Christian family.
"The story is symptomatic of how the conversions to Christianity are frowned upon and even prevented in Indian society", notes a source of Fides in India. Incidents involving the sensitive key of "conversion" continue to occur: on March 4, in Karnataka, the police arrested a Baptist Pastor, K. Manohar, after some Hindu extremists had burst into a meeting of worship, beating the faithful and accusing them of "forced and fraudulent conversions." The Pastor was beaten and taken to the police station in Ankola. After hours, he was released because he was found innocent. (SD-PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/3/2012)
- 2013-05-24 ASIA/INDIA - A new future for Christians in Karnataka
- 2013-05-22 ASIA/INDIA - Christians will bring aid to Syrian refugees during a journey of solidarity
- 2013-05-16 ASIA/INDIA - Congress of catechists from Orissa, agents of evangelization in the Year of Faith
- 2013-05-15 ASIA/INDIA - Converted to Christ from Hinduism: two families persecuted in Orissa
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/INDIA - Allegations of "forced conversions": Hindu extremists against Christians in Kerala
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/INDIA - Two missionaries who distributed biblical pamphlets: beaten and arrested
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/INDIA - The country has the highest number of child deaths within the first 24 hours of life
- 2013-05-07 ASIA/INDIA - No justice for the Christian victims of the massacres in Orissa: the figures of impunity
- 2013-05-02 ASIA/INDIA - Islamic militants to the Christian missionaries: "Leave Kashmir"
- 2013-04-30 ASIA/INDIA - Formation and awareness on rights, health, prevention of women from violence