AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - What's really going on in Haiti?
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, has asked the authorities of Haiti to inform about what is really happening in the country, because any major event or fact in the neighboring country, affects the population of the Dominican Republic. Recently, in fact, many doubts have been raised on post-earthquake reconstruction and the equitable distribution of funds, reports that were then amplified by the media. "It is important to know what is really happening, because the news is unclear or without foundation, and it would be a good thing to know what the real problems are" the Cardinal said in the context of the meeting which began on Monday evening, March 12, between the Bishops’ Conferences of the two countries of the island. On the agenda of the Bishops of the Dominican Republic and of Haiti, there are several issues to be discussed today, including the presence of Haitian citizens in the country (see Fides 07/03/2012).
In the note sent to Fides we read the Cardinal’s words: "It is a situation which not only concerns the two Bishops’ conferences, but which now also becomes a concern". The Cardinal said that "Haiti is in a very difficult situation" and the Bishops have made the effort to come and meet with the Dominican Pastors, "to discuss the internal situation that Haiti lives and propose actions that can help people of both nations, especially the poorest and most vulnerable".
Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez explained that both the Church and the Dominican government have already sent aid to Haiti, and are waiting to send a second contribution to the Bishops of that nation. The meeting between the two Episcopal Conferences is nothing new. The initial program was a two-day meeting, but the Bishops of Haiti have asked to reduce it to a single day, in order to go back to their country as soon as possible. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/3/2012)
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
- 2013-03-26 AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
- 2013-01-14 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Campaign against illiteracy: The Church supports the initiative in favor of 850 thousand people
- 2013-01-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Literacy plan to eradicate poverty
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
- 2012-10-30 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
- 2012-10-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - There is always a high number of children who lose their basic right because not registered
- 2012-09-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference