AMERICA/MEXICO - Street children and migrants forced to prostitution in exchange for food and money
Tapachula (Agenzia Fides) - The phenomenon of child prostitution continues to be a very sad plague among the people of Tapachula. An average of 80 children roam the streets, using drugs like marijuana and solvents. Each day the number increases, they have no family or a point of reference. Some find refuge in the reception centre the Ejercito de Salvacion, an NGO founded by volunteer believers of different Protestant denominations, where among the services offered, literacy classes, and food aid are offered. These children are often found on the streets at dawn by the volunteers that invite them to go to the reception center. From the evidence gathered by the responsible of the house, is that children go out to dinner with adults and are sexually exploited in exchange for clothes, money, food, mobile phones or other minor objects. Currently between 10 and 25 children are supported permanently, to whom are given education, food and medical care. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 13/3/2012)
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase