ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency
Kabul (Agenzia Fides) - "The massacre in Kandahar is a sad episode that we cannot ignore. We want guarantees that that this does not happen again. Afghan society experienced a day of profound mourning for the crime against humanity. We will ask, in a public event, that the offender is brought to justice": announces to Fides Aziz Rafiee, Director of the "Afghan Civil Society Forum Organization ", Afghan civil society platform, in the aftermath of the massacre in which Yesterday, March 11, an American soldier, in a murderous rampage, killed 16 civilians, among whom nine children in two villages near Kandahar.
Aziz Rafiee explains: "The fear is that the crime carried out by one person is seen as a crime on behalf of the U.S. and the international community: so say the Taliban, and we are worried. We hope that the U.S. can prove that it is not so".
"In public opinion there is great anger and dismay," an Afghan official who works in a hospital in Kabul, who asked for anonymity for security reasons says in an interview with Fides. "Unfortunately, the hatred towards Americans is growing: episodes like this play into the hands of the Taliban, who take advantage of these situations for their propaganda, dragging moderate sectors of society towards more extreme positions. Today the situation is calm in Kabul – he notes- but protests are being prepared". The official in Kabul said he understands the reasons that may produce these "acts of madness", since the "military live on alert for 24 hours out of 24 and suffer from severe stress", but asks that the U.S. administration keeps open "a sincere dialogue with the Afghans, keeping open a channel of tansparent communication, which is very important for the public opinion. It is necessary to tell the truth, avoiding arrogant attitudes". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/03/2012)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency