AMERICA/PERU - Agreement of cooperation between Church and State to promote religious assistance in prisons and social reintegration of detainees
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - The representatives of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference (CEP) and the National Penitentiary Institute of Peru (INPE) signed an agreement renewing the cooperation ties between the two institutions. The meeting was held on March 7 in the auditorium of the Episcopal Conference, in Lima, in the presence of His Exc. Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro, Archbishop of Ayacucho and President of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference; Juan Jimenez Mayor, Minister of Justice; Jose Luis Perez Guadalupe, head of INPE.
Objective of the Agreement is to promote, encourage and develop the religious support and complementary activities related to the social reintegration of inmates housed in prisons in the country, through the action of prison Pastoral care in each ecclesiastical jurisdiction. At the same time, through the directors of prisons and in coordination with the Pastoral Commission of the Catholic Church, the mechanisms and requirements for the program to work for human development and personal development will be carefully analized, led by the Pastoral Commission, in order to improve the treatment of prisoners, males and females, and their participation should be considered in the psychological and social relationships.
The note sent by the Episcopal Conference of Peru to Fides concludes that these, among others, are the commitments that unite for the care of each brother and sister, made in the image of God with equal dignity, which for various reasons, end up in prisons in Peru. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/03/2012)
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries