AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The problem of Haitian migration, priorities for the Bishops’ meeting
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The bishops of the Dominican Republic and Haiti will meet next Monday, March 12 in Santo Domingo to analyze the problems of the two nations and the progress of the process of rebuilding the country devastated by the earthquake in January 2010.
The Dominican Episcopal Conference and the Episcopal Conference of Haiti usually meet at least every two years to address common issues of both local churches and even social issues common to both countries.
Among the topics that are proposed for the agenda of this meeting are the migration from Haiti to the Dominican Republic, the relationship of the two people’s and development on the border. Certainly we will discuss the reconstruction of Haiti, the international community's role in this process and will consider actions to be taken together by both the Episcopal Conferences.
The meeting will begin on Monday evening and will end Wednesday at noon, after which the bishops will issue a joint document. From Haiti the archbishops of Port au Prince and Cap Haitien will participate, respectively Mgr. Guire Poulard and Louis Kebreau. Mgr. Kebreau is president of the Episcopal Conference of Haiti. There will also be bishops from Fort-Liberté, Hinche, Les Gonaives, Port de Paix, Anse-à-Veau and Miragoane, Jacmel, Jeremie, Les Cayes.
From the Dominican Republic, the titular bishops, bishops emeritus and auxiliaries will be present, who are led by Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez as President of the Dominican Episcopal Conference. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2012)
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
- 2013-03-26 AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
- 2013-01-14 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Campaign against illiteracy: The Church supports the initiative in favor of 850 thousand people
- 2013-01-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Literacy plan to eradicate poverty
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
- 2012-10-30 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
- 2012-10-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - There is always a high number of children who lose their basic right because not registered
- 2012-09-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference