AFRICA/CONGO - Bishops launch a national collection for the victims of the tragedy of Brazzaville
Brazzaville (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the Republic of Congo have launched a national collection to help the victims of the series of explosions in the barracks of Mpila (see Fides 05/03/2012).
In a message sent to Fides, signed by His Exc. Mgr. Louis Portella Mbuyu, Bishop of Kinkala and President of the Episcopal Conference of Congo, says: "Our Country is experiencing a painful drama due to a series of explosions, and with unprecedented violence, devastated a good portion of the population of Brazzaville: loss of life, serious injuries, destruction of buildings and homes.
Thus, several sisters and brothers are suffering. We cannot remain indifferent, like the priest and the Levite in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Our solidarity is a duty. We launch an urgent and compelling appeal to all members of our Church to organize collections of solidarity in parishes, in movements and also at an individual level. The fruits of the collections will be remitted to the tre asurer’s office of each diocese to be relayed through the Episcopal Conference to the competent authorities that manage the crisis. Let us act quickly".
A provisional estimate of the disaster amounts to about 200 victims, more than 1,300 have been injured and 5,000 are homeless. Demining operations in the area of the barracks of Mpila which were to start today, March 7, have been postponed for security reasons. Rescue teams have not been able to access the area, where a curfew was imposed. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2012)
- 2012-06-21 AFRICA/CONGO - Biso na Biso: the voice of the forest promotes relations between Bantu and Pygmies
- 2012-03-08 AFRICA/CONGO - "Water and medicine are the most urgent needs," says the Nuncio in Brazzaville, who visited the most important reception centre
- 2012-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO - Bishops launch a national collection for the victims of the tragedy of Brazzaville
- 2012-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO - "I am impressed by the spirit of solidarity on behalf of everyone", says the Nuncio of Brazzaville
- 2012-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO - The tragedy in Brazzaville: The Catholic Church in the forefront to assist the injured
- 2012-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO - "The explosion razed the church of Saint Louis des Francais to the ground," says the Archbishop of Brazzaville, committed to assisting orphans and survivors
- 2012-02-22 AFRICA/CONGO - Outbreaks of cholera and measles within 500 km
- 2011-08-26 AFRICA/CONGO - The majority of indigenous women still give birth without any assistance
- 2011-06-22 AFRICA/CONGO-Measles outbreak: 32 deaths and hundreds of people infected
- 2011-06-17 AFRICA/CONGO- About one thousand suspected cases of chikungunya have been identified in the capital