ASIA/SOUTH KOREA-"An examination of conscience" to prepare for the Synod on the New Evangelization
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - An effort of reflection and an extra "examination of conscience", to make a "careful diagnosis of the situation"; a revival of the true Christian identity in the country: thus the Church in Korea is preparing for the next General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, to be held in Rome next October on the theme "The New Evangelization and the transmission of the Christian faith". This is what is said in a message sent to Fides by Fr. Thaddaeus Lee Ki-rak, Executive Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of South Korea.
The Secretary reports to Fides that "the Church in Korea has invited representatives of all dioceses and many experts to prepare appropriate responses to questions present in the Lineamenta of the Synod". The Church in Korea, he adds, "in full communion with the Church universal seriously considers how to deal with new challenges and the current situation, reading the signs of the themes in the light of the Gospel". The theme chosen for the Synod, the Secretary explains, "I think is a sign of the times: the restoration of an authentic Christian identity and the transmission of Christ's love to people today are the means to deal with secularism and relativism" that we perceive with clarity even in Korean society.
Fr. Lee Ki-rak’s analysis reminds that in the world "thousands of people are victims of poverty, hunger, war and terrorism". Movements like the "Arab Spring" or "Occupy Wall Street", he notes, have highlighted the desire for democracy, to fight corruption and the evils of neo-liberalism. In many countries of the world fundamentalism and extremism rages, he recalls. "Faced with these challenges, Korea cannot withdraw or turn away", says the Secretary, and more so the Christians, men and women who "take care" of others. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2012)
- 2014-09-02 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – A missionary says “thank you Pope Francis: now it is up to us”
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul
- 2014-05-21 - The Cardinal of Seul visits North Korea
- 2014-04-25 - Annual Workshop of Caritas: Communicate to evangelize
- 2014-03-26 - "Small Christian Communities" instrument of evangelization
- 2014-03-14 - Church and government engaged in the Pope's visit; boom of participants at the Asian Youth Day