ASIA/SOUTH KOREA-"An examination of conscience" to prepare for the Synod on the New Evangelization
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - An effort of reflection and an extra "examination of conscience", to make a "careful diagnosis of the situation"; a revival of the true Christian identity in the country: thus the Church in Korea is preparing for the next General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, to be held in Rome next October on the theme "The New Evangelization and the transmission of the Christian faith". This is what is said in a message sent to Fides by Fr. Thaddaeus Lee Ki-rak, Executive Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of South Korea.
The Secretary reports to Fides that "the Church in Korea has invited representatives of all dioceses and many experts to prepare appropriate responses to questions present in the Lineamenta of the Synod". The Church in Korea, he adds, "in full communion with the Church universal seriously considers how to deal with new challenges and the current situation, reading the signs of the themes in the light of the Gospel". The theme chosen for the Synod, the Secretary explains, "I think is a sign of the times: the restoration of an authentic Christian identity and the transmission of Christ's love to people today are the means to deal with secularism and relativism" that we perceive with clarity even in Korean society.
Fr. Lee Ki-rak’s analysis reminds that in the world "thousands of people are victims of poverty, hunger, war and terrorism". Movements like the "Arab Spring" or "Occupy Wall Street", he notes, have highlighted the desire for democracy, to fight corruption and the evils of neo-liberalism. In many countries of the world fundamentalism and extremism rages, he recalls. "Faced with these challenges, Korea cannot withdraw or turn away", says the Secretary, and more so the Christians, men and women who "take care" of others. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2012)
- 2013-06-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The crisis is a disadvantage for everyone: the Church welcomes the new North-South negotiations
- 2013-06-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Priests on pilgrimage to the tombs of the martyrs pray for peace
- 2013-05-28 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Worldwide Eucharistic Adoration with the Pope: to pray for peace with North Korea
- 2013-05-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - North Korea proposes a summit with the South: "hope re-opens", say the Bishops
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul to Buddhists: "Let us together become a sign of peace and sharing"
- 2013-04-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The industrial complex of Kaesong closes but the "North-South cooperation is not completely interrupted," notes the Church
- 2013-04-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The "new Korean martyrs": an example in the Year of Faith
- 2013-04-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Winds of War, the Bishops appeal to the Pope: "Ask the leaders to work for peace"
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul, "Graces and blessings on our brothers and sisters in North Korea"
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Prison camps spread out and encompass the villages