ASIA/SOUTH KOREA-"An examination of conscience" to prepare for the Synod on the New Evangelization
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - An effort of reflection and an extra "examination of conscience", to make a "careful diagnosis of the situation"; a revival of the true Christian identity in the country: thus the Church in Korea is preparing for the next General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, to be held in Rome next October on the theme "The New Evangelization and the transmission of the Christian faith". This is what is said in a message sent to Fides by Fr. Thaddaeus Lee Ki-rak, Executive Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of South Korea.
The Secretary reports to Fides that "the Church in Korea has invited representatives of all dioceses and many experts to prepare appropriate responses to questions present in the Lineamenta of the Synod". The Church in Korea, he adds, "in full communion with the Church universal seriously considers how to deal with new challenges and the current situation, reading the signs of the themes in the light of the Gospel". The theme chosen for the Synod, the Secretary explains, "I think is a sign of the times: the restoration of an authentic Christian identity and the transmission of Christ's love to people today are the means to deal with secularism and relativism" that we perceive with clarity even in Korean society.
Fr. Lee Ki-rak’s analysis reminds that in the world "thousands of people are victims of poverty, hunger, war and terrorism". Movements like the "Arab Spring" or "Occupy Wall Street", he notes, have highlighted the desire for democracy, to fight corruption and the evils of neo-liberalism. In many countries of the world fundamentalism and extremism rages, he recalls. "Faced with these challenges, Korea cannot withdraw or turn away", says the Secretary, and more so the Christians, men and women who "take care" of others. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2012)
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Controversy between a priest and the Korean President: the Archbishop of Seoul invites priests not to get involved in politics
- 2013-11-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Christians in prayer for reconciliation between North and South, in the demilitarized zone
- 2013-10-30 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Bishop of Mongolia: "Thanks for the missionary commitment of the Korean Church"
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In mission among the poor and marginalized in the "existential suburbs" of Suwon
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Over 45 thousand faithful attend Cardinal Filoni’s Mass for the Jubilee of the Diocese of Suwon
- 2013-09-30 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "Cardinal Filoni’s visit is an incentive for the Church in Korea that wants to be missionary"
- 2013-09-16 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Korean Bishops' Pilgrimage on foot to martyrs' shrines
- 2013-08-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pope Francis to the Archdiocese of Seoul : "The martyrs as the way of faith and evangelization"
- 2013-08-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul and Cardinal Grocholewski: education as a means of evangelization in Asia
- 2013-08-19 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "Let us entrust to Mary the reconciliation between the Koreas"