ASIA/SOUTH KOREA-"An examination of conscience" to prepare for the Synod on the New Evangelization
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - An effort of reflection and an extra "examination of conscience", to make a "careful diagnosis of the situation"; a revival of the true Christian identity in the country: thus the Church in Korea is preparing for the next General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, to be held in Rome next October on the theme "The New Evangelization and the transmission of the Christian faith". This is what is said in a message sent to Fides by Fr. Thaddaeus Lee Ki-rak, Executive Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of South Korea.
The Secretary reports to Fides that "the Church in Korea has invited representatives of all dioceses and many experts to prepare appropriate responses to questions present in the Lineamenta of the Synod". The Church in Korea, he adds, "in full communion with the Church universal seriously considers how to deal with new challenges and the current situation, reading the signs of the themes in the light of the Gospel". The theme chosen for the Synod, the Secretary explains, "I think is a sign of the times: the restoration of an authentic Christian identity and the transmission of Christ's love to people today are the means to deal with secularism and relativism" that we perceive with clarity even in Korean society.
Fr. Lee Ki-rak’s analysis reminds that in the world "thousands of people are victims of poverty, hunger, war and terrorism". Movements like the "Arab Spring" or "Occupy Wall Street", he notes, have highlighted the desire for democracy, to fight corruption and the evils of neo-liberalism. In many countries of the world fundamentalism and extremism rages, he recalls. "Faced with these challenges, Korea cannot withdraw or turn away", says the Secretary, and more so the Christians, men and women who "take care" of others. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2012)
- 2014-03-26 - "Small Christian Communities" instrument of evangelization
- 2014-03-14 - Church and government engaged in the Pope's visit; boom of participants at the Asian Youth Day
- 2014-03-11 - The Bishops: "Korea, rise up in splendor!", the Pope is coming
- 2014-02-24 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Catholic Bishops: for 2014 “a Church with a warm heart”
- 2014-02-19 - "Forty days for life": Church reinforces its commitment against abortion
- 2014-02-10 - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
- 2014-02-06 - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
- 2014-02-04 - Vocations bloom: the ordination of bishops, priests and deacons in Seoul
- 2014-02-03 - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
- 2014-01-24 - jung visits the homeless