AMERICA/PERU - In the northern region of Lambayeque there are about 60 000 working children
Lambayeque (Agenzia Fides) - There are approximately 60 000 child laborers in the northern region of Lambayeque, Peru. According to local sources, the number of children committed to working on the streets has increased by 18%. They sell candy, bolts for cars, they are masons or they work in the fields. Local statistics indicate that every year, in summer there is an increase in the indices of child labor, and operations are in progress to detect whether these children are working voluntarily or are forced by their parents. The rise of the phenomenon always occurs during the school holidays because, due to the poverty of many families of Lambayeque, the children must try to raise money to buy basic necessities. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/2/2012)
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers