AMERICA/PERU - In the northern region of Lambayeque there are about 60 000 working children
Lambayeque (Agenzia Fides) - There are approximately 60 000 child laborers in the northern region of Lambayeque, Peru. According to local sources, the number of children committed to working on the streets has increased by 18%. They sell candy, bolts for cars, they are masons or they work in the fields. Local statistics indicate that every year, in summer there is an increase in the indices of child labor, and operations are in progress to detect whether these children are working voluntarily or are forced by their parents. The rise of the phenomenon always occurs during the school holidays because, due to the poverty of many families of Lambayeque, the children must try to raise money to buy basic necessities. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/2/2012)
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth