AMERICA/PERU - In the northern region of Lambayeque there are about 60 000 working children
Lambayeque (Agenzia Fides) - There are approximately 60 000 child laborers in the northern region of Lambayeque, Peru. According to local sources, the number of children committed to working on the streets has increased by 18%. They sell candy, bolts for cars, they are masons or they work in the fields. Local statistics indicate that every year, in summer there is an increase in the indices of child labor, and operations are in progress to detect whether these children are working voluntarily or are forced by their parents. The rise of the phenomenon always occurs during the school holidays because, due to the poverty of many families of Lambayeque, the children must try to raise money to buy basic necessities. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/2/2012)
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures