AFRICA/BENIN - Moto-taxis for needy families: ensuring the development and creation of jobs
Porto Novo (Agenzia Fides) - Several families with economic difficulties in the municipalities of Dangbo, Adjarra and Porto-Novo received 75 motorcycle taxis at the "Centre Michael Magone" in Porto-Novo. This is a microcredit project that has been made possible through the generosity of the researcher and promoter, Eng. Enrique Castillo, and the Royal Academy of Engineering of Spain. The initiative is part of the project to support the most disadvantaged areas of Benin. "Where there is no transport development," is what is reads in a note on behalf of engineer Castillo, released by ANS, in which the design of the motorcycle taxi is defined as a sustainable project, ensuring the development and creation of jobs. During the ceremony the responsibility of the beneficiaries was also highlighted who are called to pay monthly payments and have been invited to observe the deadlines on time and avoid delays that could harm subsequent beneficiaries of the project. During the ceremony, presided by Don Juan José Gómez, sdb, Director of the "Foyer Don Bosco", future drivers were sensitized on the issue of road safety and in particular the use of the helmet. Later, after the signing of contracts and commitments for the payment, the 75 recipients returned to their homes aboard their new means of transport. The project of the motorcycle taxi has helped many poor families by strengthening their self-sufficiency and autonomy, with solid support that allows them to go ahead and give a positive boost to their lives. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/2/2012)
- 2014-11-28 - "Magic shows" to finance the schooling of children
- 2014-10-23 - New schooling project for 450 children in the north of the Country
- 2014-07-24 - Children sold for 30 euro as slaves by their parents: a campaign against trafficking
- 2014-07-15 - AFRICA/BENIN – Opening of the meeting of African Bishops on the family in preparation for the Synod
- 2014-06-18 - Meeting in preparation of the Synod on the Family: "Let us be guided by the Gospel and by traditional African values"
- 2013-07-12 - "The Virgin Mary is the sign of Catholicism in Benin"
- 2012-08-29 - Inauguaration of the first "mini-village of the Child", dedicated to St. Massimiliano M. Kolbe
- 2012-02-17 - Moto-taxis for needy families: ensuring the development and creation of jobs
- 2011-12-02 - "The Post-Synodal Exhortation urges us to a greater commitment to evangelization in Africa", says Cardinal Pengo
- 2011-11-18 - 800 000 street children escaped from their families, abandoned because of poverty, victims of conflict and abuse