ASIA/BANGLADESH - Very little food limits the growth of children under 5 years of age
Dhaka (Agenzia Fides) - Despite the annual economic growth from 5% to 6% since the early '90s, the precarious nutritional status of women and children from Bangladesh undermines the health and welfare of all Bangladeshis, and hinders progress towards achieving the millennium development Goals on maternal and child mortality and poverty. In Bangladesh, one child in 15 dies before reaching 5 years of age, 250 000 children die every year during their first month of life. According to the organization Save the Children, 48.6% of Bengali children under 5 are stunted or short in stature for their age, 13.3% are thin and underweight for their height and 37.4% are too thin for their age . To raise awareness about the problem the Government of Bangladesh said to integrate nutrition programs in the health sector and pledged to fight malnutrition and infant mortality among poor families in the country, but the increase in food prices is exacerbating the situation. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/2/2012)
- 2013-06-07 ASIA/BANGLADESH - A seminary attacked "for unknown reasons," says the Bishop
- 2013-05-06 ASIA/BANGLADESH - Islamic radicals ravage Dhaka: Archbishop's appeal for peace
- 2013-04-29 ASIA/BANGLADESH - A missionary: "The collapse of the factory brings together the elements of discontent: explosive situation"
- 2013-04-27 ASIA/BANGLADESH - Eight arrests for the collapse of the factory, three Christian girls missing
- 2013-04-26 ASIA/BANGLADESH - The ultimatum of the Islamists to the government: "Approve the law of blasphemy or we will siege Dhaka"
- 2013-04-19 ASIA/BANGLADESH - A Bishop: "Society does not want a new blasphemy law"
- 2013-03-21 ASIA/BANGLADESH - "We feel close to the Pope, humble person, who knows the life of the poor"
- 2013-02-19 ASIA/BANGLADESH - Anti-discrimination law urgently needed say Civil Society and religious communities
- 2013-01-11 ASIA/BANGLADESH - Extreme poverty forces children to leave school in order to find a job
- 2012-12-18 ASIA/BANGLADESH - Still no food aid or medical care for undocumented Rohingya