AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops, concerned about the increase in death sentences in Florida, write to the governor
Miami (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Miami, His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski and five Bishops of Florida sent a letter to Governor Rick Scott, asking him to stop Robert Waterhouse’s execution and commute the death sentence with life imprisonment without possibility of parole. "This measure would manifest the belief in the unique dignity of each individual and the sanctity of human life. It would acknowledge God as Lord of life and be more consistent with the spirit of the Gospel," said the letter, which is dated February 13, 2012. Robert Waterhouse’s execution is set for today, February 15, at 23 GMT time, the prison in the State of Starke, north of the state of Florida, according to the order that Governor Scott signed last January.
The letter expresses the Bishops’ concern for the planned increase of the executions: from August 2011 one every three months. Therefore in the letter the Bishops ask the governor to refrain from signing new death sentences. "We ask to study what they do in other states where there are other options (but not the death of a prisoner) to reach the goal of protecting society and punishing the criminal," they suggested.
The defense filed an appeal last week against Waterhouse’s execution, but the U.S. Supreme Court has not yet ruled. Florida has executed 71 inmates since the death penalty was restored in the State, in 1976, and this is the third signed by Governor Scott since January 2011. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/2/2012)
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops
- 2013-04-03 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
- 2013-03-11 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
- 2013-01-07 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - National Migration Week: to raise awareness on the 11 million undocumented persons
- 2012-12-10 AMERICA - About 300 000 children recruited for criminal activity in the world
- 2012-12-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The defense of immigrants is evangelization": the Bishop of Atlanta calls for an integral reform of immigration policy