ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Bishops: "No abortion, preferential option for life"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - The Korean Church reaffirms its "No to abortion" and urges all Christians in Korea to make a "preferential option for the defense of life": So says the "Committee for Bioethics" within the Catholic Bishops Conference, led by His Exc. Mgr. Gabriel Chang Bong-hun, Bishop of Cheongju. In past days, the Bishop celebrated a "Mass for Life" in the Cathedral of Seoul, reiterating that the Catholic community wants to engage fully in society to promote a "genuine culture of life". Mgr. Chang said: "We cannot remain indifferent to the fact that the whole society, and even the media, do not say anything about the still widespread practice of abortion". He added: "We all have to take the lead to become protectors and defenders of the unborn, to be more delicate and vulnerable", urging the faithful to "make a preferential option for the protection of life in accordance with divine teaching: Thou shalt not kill ".
The Committee recalled the activation of the "New Life Project", launched a year ago, in collaboration with pro-life movements, to help mothers in need not to abort. The project supports with concrete help mothers in need, providing them with medical facilities and care, so that they do not abort. The project includes 15 homes for single mothers, health care before and after childbirth and economic aid. The aim of the initiative is also to prevent unwanted pregnancies. To this end, also sex education in Catholic schools and parishes are scheduled. Abortion has been legal in South Korea South since 1973 and is currently allowed within the 28 weeks in cases of incest, violence, some congenital diseases or malformations of the fetus or in case of danger to the mother's life. According to data of the Korean Church, at least 1.5 million abortions are performed each year in South Korea (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/2/2012)
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul to Buddhists: "Let us together become a sign of peace and sharing"
- 2013-04-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The industrial complex of Kaesong closes but the "North-South cooperation is not completely interrupted," notes the Church
- 2013-04-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The "new Korean martyrs": an example in the Year of Faith
- 2013-04-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Winds of War, the Bishops appeal to the Pope: "Ask the leaders to work for peace"
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul, "Graces and blessings on our brothers and sisters in North Korea"
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Prison camps spread out and encompass the villages
- 2013-03-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula": Archbishop of Seoul’s appeal
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Evangelization: a priority in the Year of Faith
- 2013-01-28 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Danger of cannibalism in the poorest provinces affected by drought and famine
- 2013-01-25 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA- High tension between the Koreas: religions call for a "change of course"