AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishops mediators in favor of justice for everyone
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC) has offered to mediate in the discussion that is ongoing between the National Government and the Courts on the draft concerning the constitutional reform of justice. The proposal comes from the President of the CEC, His Exc. Mgr. Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, and by the Secretary-General, His Excellency Monsignor Juan Vicente Córdoba Villota, Auxiliary of Bucaramanga, following the visit carried out by different judges to the Bishops gathered in Bogota for the 92nd (XCII) Plenary Assembly . On February 10, at the headquarters of the Episcopal Conference, the the President of the Supreme Court, Javier Zapata Ortiz; President of the Council of State, Gustavo Gomez Aranguren; Ricardo Monroy Church, President of the Judicial Council, and the Vice President of the administrative Chamber of the Supreme Judicial Council Jose Agustin Suarez Alba were present.
Speaking to reporters Mgr. Salazar Gomez explained that one is trying to establish channels of communication. The Church has always called for dialogue, consultation and understanding to build a peaceful country, "so we will try by all means to get the parties to reach an agreement". In the note sent to Fides it is underlined that Mgr.Cordoba Villota said that efforts will be made "to avoid raising tensions between the parties". Listening to the parties is necessary to gain insight and knowledge that allows to "evaluate, discern and improve positions". The judges have expressed concern over issues such as access to justice, its generosity and the need to modernize the technological and systematization aspect. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/2/2012)
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives