AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishops mediators in favor of justice for everyone
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC) has offered to mediate in the discussion that is ongoing between the National Government and the Courts on the draft concerning the constitutional reform of justice. The proposal comes from the President of the CEC, His Exc. Mgr. Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, and by the Secretary-General, His Excellency Monsignor Juan Vicente Córdoba Villota, Auxiliary of Bucaramanga, following the visit carried out by different judges to the Bishops gathered in Bogota for the 92nd (XCII) Plenary Assembly . On February 10, at the headquarters of the Episcopal Conference, the the President of the Supreme Court, Javier Zapata Ortiz; President of the Council of State, Gustavo Gomez Aranguren; Ricardo Monroy Church, President of the Judicial Council, and the Vice President of the administrative Chamber of the Supreme Judicial Council Jose Agustin Suarez Alba were present.
Speaking to reporters Mgr. Salazar Gomez explained that one is trying to establish channels of communication. The Church has always called for dialogue, consultation and understanding to build a peaceful country, "so we will try by all means to get the parties to reach an agreement". In the note sent to Fides it is underlined that Mgr.Cordoba Villota said that efforts will be made "to avoid raising tensions between the parties". Listening to the parties is necessary to gain insight and knowledge that allows to "evaluate, discern and improve positions". The judges have expressed concern over issues such as access to justice, its generosity and the need to modernize the technological and systematization aspect. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/2/2012)
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger
- 2014-02-10 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace negotiations with other groups: the Church's commitment
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Post- conflict" keyword in the dialogue President-Bishops
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church's contribution to dialogues of peace: respect the rights of the population
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Plenary Assembly of Bishops on the importance of pastoral action
- 2014-01-27 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Appeal after the murder of two people in a Church: "They want to kill hope"