AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishops mediators in favor of justice for everyone
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC) has offered to mediate in the discussion that is ongoing between the National Government and the Courts on the draft concerning the constitutional reform of justice. The proposal comes from the President of the CEC, His Exc. Mgr. Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, and by the Secretary-General, His Excellency Monsignor Juan Vicente Córdoba Villota, Auxiliary of Bucaramanga, following the visit carried out by different judges to the Bishops gathered in Bogota for the 92nd (XCII) Plenary Assembly . On February 10, at the headquarters of the Episcopal Conference, the the President of the Supreme Court, Javier Zapata Ortiz; President of the Council of State, Gustavo Gomez Aranguren; Ricardo Monroy Church, President of the Judicial Council, and the Vice President of the administrative Chamber of the Supreme Judicial Council Jose Agustin Suarez Alba were present.
Speaking to reporters Mgr. Salazar Gomez explained that one is trying to establish channels of communication. The Church has always called for dialogue, consultation and understanding to build a peaceful country, "so we will try by all means to get the parties to reach an agreement". In the note sent to Fides it is underlined that Mgr.Cordoba Villota said that efforts will be made "to avoid raising tensions between the parties". Listening to the parties is necessary to gain insight and knowledge that allows to "evaluate, discern and improve positions". The judges have expressed concern over issues such as access to justice, its generosity and the need to modernize the technological and systematization aspect. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/2/2012)
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices