AMERICA/VENEZUELA - For Cardinal Urosa Savino every presidential candidate must possess the values of love, justice and freedom
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas, said that the Catholic values that every presidential candidate must have are love, justice, freedom, respect for people and for the people in general. All this is condensed in the Constitution. The Cardinal answered the journalists’ questions on the eve of the primary elections, which in Venezuela will be held on Sunday, February 12, while the presidential elections are to be held on 7 October. "Another very important value is truth, the truth and work for the good of the Venezuelan people and not for a particular political party, excluding the other", he added.
"It is not only now that the Bishops speak of national life - said the Cardinal -. We have a duty as pastors, to promote peace. Compliance with all the dignity and the common good, the need to create opportunities for all and respect for private property, are values that should always be defended".
If these values were actually applied, the Cardinal said, "we would have a much better country than we have now ... This is what we lack, to address problems early: never before have there been many problems such as corruption and lack of housing". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2012)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Maronite Patriarch Rai: "Venezuela is in good hands"
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Urgent mediation of the church, the country still in violence for political clashes
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Infant malnutrition remains a serious problem
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The church offers itself as a guarantor of peace before the violence in the country
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Nicolas Maduro new Venezuelan President
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Poverty in the country is three times higher than that of Chile and Uruguay
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A Day dedicated to Girls and Indigenous Children
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa in Rome at the Mass for Chavez: "Look ahead and seek peace"
- 2013-03-07 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Tomorrow a Mass for the late President Chavez presided over by Cardinal Urosa in Rome