AFRICA - On February 13 the Second Symposium of the European and African Bishops opens in Rome
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – On February 13 the Second Symposium of the European and African Bishops opens in Rome, which has the theme "Evangelization Today: Communion and pastoral cooperation between Africa and Europe. The human person and God: the Church's mission to proclaim the presence and love of God". The event will be jointly opened by Cardinal Polycarp Pengo and Angelo Bagnasco, respectively President of the Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM) and Vice-President of the Council of the European Episcopal Conferences (CCEE). Followed by the presentation of a post-synodal Apostolic Exhortation Africae Munus on behalf of Cardinal Peter K. A. Turkson, President of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace.
During the opening session, the Cardinals Theodore-Adrien Sarr, Vice-President of SECAM, and Josip Bozanic, former Vice-President of the CCEE, who have followed the whole process of collaboration between the two continental bodies since 2004, will present the results of previous meetings and the challenges that have emerged, and will talk about what is expected from this Symposium.
Some experts Bishops of the two continental organizations will offer a presentation of the following sub-themes during the five days of the Symposium:
a) Who are the men and women in Africa and Europe that the Church was sent to evangelize? A theological and anthropological approach. The believer, the person in search, the person who claims not to believe.
b) The mission of the Church: to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ to men and women today in Africa and Europe. The personal encounter with Christ. Conversion.
c) Communion and pastoral cooperation between Africa and Europe - to promote concrete relations: between parishes and dioceses, youth, families, etc…
d) The way forward in view of the most fruitful collaborations between CCEE and SECAM.
The Symposium will conclude with a pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Holy Face in Manoppello, on February 17. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2012)
- 2013-12-02 - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions
- 2013-11-20 - Thirty years of the Church’s commitment in Africa against AIDS
- 2013-11-12 - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
- 2013-10-15 - The wishes of the Catholic Church in Africa to the Muslim faithful for the feast of Aid El Adha
- 2013-10-14 - The Bishops of North Africa: "Our Countries have also become places of immigration"
- 2013-10-04 - Lampedusa : "To fight against traffickers and help migrant Countries" proposes Mgr.Bertin
- 2013-09-06 - "Pray for Peace also through social networks" the South African Bishops’ appeal
- 2013-07-09 - Appeal for Central Africa by Caritas Africa
- 2013-04-04 - Africa among the continents most affected by the scourge of landmines
- 2013-03-27 - Crisis in Central Africa repercussions in Chad and South Africa