AFRICA - On February 13 the Second Symposium of the European and African Bishops opens in Rome
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – On February 13 the Second Symposium of the European and African Bishops opens in Rome, which has the theme "Evangelization Today: Communion and pastoral cooperation between Africa and Europe. The human person and God: the Church's mission to proclaim the presence and love of God". The event will be jointly opened by Cardinal Polycarp Pengo and Angelo Bagnasco, respectively President of the Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM) and Vice-President of the Council of the European Episcopal Conferences (CCEE). Followed by the presentation of a post-synodal Apostolic Exhortation Africae Munus on behalf of Cardinal Peter K. A. Turkson, President of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace.
During the opening session, the Cardinals Theodore-Adrien Sarr, Vice-President of SECAM, and Josip Bozanic, former Vice-President of the CCEE, who have followed the whole process of collaboration between the two continental bodies since 2004, will present the results of previous meetings and the challenges that have emerged, and will talk about what is expected from this Symposium.
Some experts Bishops of the two continental organizations will offer a presentation of the following sub-themes during the five days of the Symposium:
a) Who are the men and women in Africa and Europe that the Church was sent to evangelize? A theological and anthropological approach. The believer, the person in search, the person who claims not to believe.
b) The mission of the Church: to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ to men and women today in Africa and Europe. The personal encounter with Christ. Conversion.
c) Communion and pastoral cooperation between Africa and Europe - to promote concrete relations: between parishes and dioceses, youth, families, etc…
d) The way forward in view of the most fruitful collaborations between CCEE and SECAM.
The Symposium will conclude with a pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Holy Face in Manoppello, on February 17. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2012)
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA - Africa among the continents most affected by the scourge of landmines
- 2013-03-27 AFRICA - Crisis in Central Africa repercussions in Chad and South Africa
- 2012-11-22 AFRICA - "The region is going through a complex and painful transition," say the Bishops of North Africa
- 2012-08-27 AFRICA - The African Catholics worried due to fundamentalist violence, they do not want to respond with violence
- 2012-07-21 AFRICA - Abortifacient drugs and contraceptives: a false and dangerous solution to poverty
- 2012-05-30 AFRICA - "We cannot afford to add terrorism to our long list of problems," says the Archbishop of Abuja
- 2012-04-04 AFRICA - The north of Mali like the east of the DRC? The question of the press in Kinshasa
- 2012-03-13 AFRICA - The "Tripoli Plan" for the security of North Africa and the Sahara
- 2012-03-05 AFRICA-New program to reduce maternal mortality in four countries
- 2012-02-15 AFRICA-In Africa 23 million people are at risk of hunger