AFRICA/CONGO DR - Cholera runs along the river Congo: alert
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Cholera continues to claim victims in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), especially in the provinces bordering the Congo River, which is therefore both an important trading route and a carrier of the disease. 8 out of 11 provinces are affected by the epidemic. More than 22,000 cases were reported in the last 12 months. Most of them, over 14,000 were recorded in the eastern provinces where cholera is endemic.
With more than 5,500 reported cases (25% of the total number of cases nationwide), the South Kivu Province has paid the heaviest price. Following the capital, Kinshasa, Province Orientale, Bandundu Province and Equator.
Across the country, humanitarian agencies have developed a multi-sectoral response strategy, but have not yet been able to contain the disease. Centers have been created for the treatment of cholera, chlorination of water points, campaigns to raise public awareness have been organized through the media, programs for the training of medical personnel have started and to disinfect the boats that sail along the river.
Aid organizations say they believe that the emergency will end in a reasonable amount of time, but they add that to eradicate the disease from spreading, the Congolese authorities should give priority to investments, to ensure the population access to clean water, safe sanitation services and the health system in general. If these recommendations are not put into practice, according to humanitarian organizations, the waves of cholera epidemic will arise again and, at worst, the disease could affect around 21 million people. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/02/2012)
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali
- 2015-09-17 - Uncontrollable epidemic of measles: 23,000 people infected
- 2015-09-14 - The jihadists hide in the forests of Virunga protected by apparently autonomous local groups
- 2015-09-07 - New massacres committed by jihadists in North Kivu
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu