AFRICA/CONGO DR - Cholera runs along the river Congo: alert
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Cholera continues to claim victims in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), especially in the provinces bordering the Congo River, which is therefore both an important trading route and a carrier of the disease. 8 out of 11 provinces are affected by the epidemic. More than 22,000 cases were reported in the last 12 months. Most of them, over 14,000 were recorded in the eastern provinces where cholera is endemic.
With more than 5,500 reported cases (25% of the total number of cases nationwide), the South Kivu Province has paid the heaviest price. Following the capital, Kinshasa, Province Orientale, Bandundu Province and Equator.
Across the country, humanitarian agencies have developed a multi-sectoral response strategy, but have not yet been able to contain the disease. Centers have been created for the treatment of cholera, chlorination of water points, campaigns to raise public awareness have been organized through the media, programs for the training of medical personnel have started and to disinfect the boats that sail along the river.
Aid organizations say they believe that the emergency will end in a reasonable amount of time, but they add that to eradicate the disease from spreading, the Congolese authorities should give priority to investments, to ensure the population access to clean water, safe sanitation services and the health system in general. If these recommendations are not put into practice, according to humanitarian organizations, the waves of cholera epidemic will arise again and, at worst, the disease could affect around 21 million people. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/02/2012)
- 2014-04-03 - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
- 2014-04-02 - Kasenga launches an alarm on the resumption of the violence carried out by the Bakata Katanga
- 2014-03-31 - The creation of an African Criminal Court is urgently needed" said a scholar at the Catholic University of Congo
- 2014-03-24 - More than 250 Congolese refugees drown while trying to return home from Uganda
- 2014-03-11 - To improve road communications in view of the national pilgrimage for the 50th anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite
- 2014-03-04 - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines